You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create an Embedded document from a layer inside of Affinity

I'm sorry if this has been asked. Is there going to be an option to turn a layer into an embedded document from within Affinity? Similar to creating a smart object in photoshop.

I love working with embedded documents but I wish I didn't have to start and save the correct sized file as a separate AF document then import into the project I'm working on. It would be great if I could just select the thing I want to be embedded and tell it to be embedded. Then I could do further edits to it as an embedded document.

There's nothing like that in Photo. Or any of the other Affinity applications, really.

In the 1.9 Publisher beta, though, you can convert a pixel layer into an embedded Image layer or a Picture Frame. That's not quite what you're asking for, but it's perhaps heading in that direction. From the Help:

Converting pixel layers

Pixel layers are stored within Affinity Publisher documents. In order to replace one's contents with those of an external file, or to save its contents to an external file to process in other software, convert it to an image resource or a picture frame.

Doing so results in an image layer containing the pixel layer's information, either loose on the page or nested inside a picture frame, respectively.

The image layer's contents are listed in the Resource Manager, where you can select Replace to overwrite them with data from an external file, or Make Linked to save them to an external file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/10/2021 at 6:57 PM, walt.farrell said:

There's nothing like that in Photo. Or any of the other Affinity applications, really.

In the 1.9 Publisher beta, though, you can convert a pixel layer into an embedded Image layer or a Picture Frame. That's not quite what you're asking for, but it's perhaps heading in that direction. From the Help:

That definitely sounds like the right direction. At least its a new feature I'll put to good use in Publisher. Thanks!

I hope they add the embed option to Photo soon, though. It would be a super convenient workflow simplification for making reusable mockups.