You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blur part of vector image

Is this possible to blur only a part of a vector section in Designer? I know that masks do not operate the same way in designer in that one can not simply blur and then paint out what is not needed.  I have circled the area I would like to blur: But am lost as to actually how one should do this really.  the part that is circled is a part of the longer section that goes through the circle, not seperate.

Capture.PNG.33bdde93a84777c66b9a519e2c7439da.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Does it need to remain vector once exported?

Do you want it to end up blurred, but still visible as something blurred? Or do you want it gone from view completely?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Does it need to remain vector once exported?

Do you want it to end up blurred, but still visible as something blurred? Or do you want it gone from view completely?

Hallo Walt, yes still visible and blurred.  I am trying to avoid rastherising which is why I posted the question.  But if this is the only way to go, via Pixel persona and mask off what is not necessary to blur then that will have to do I suppose.

1 hour ago, BofG said:

There's a Gaussian blur in the layer effects (little icon at the bottom of the layer panel brings up the effects window, I think it's the first effect listed). Select that Layer first, then add the effect.

No that was why I was asking.  The Fx blur obviously blurs the whole section.  That part that is circled is not a seperate piece, it is the result of a boolean operation and belongs to the part that goes through the circle.  I know that I could simply delete this area by cutting nodes and simply draw a shape on top but that would mean doing the very thing that I am avoiding throughout this graphic and that is to maipulate the nodes into position, I am using boolean throughout for absolute accuracy and smoothness..

Here is outline view:

Capture.PNG.c9b7b0df0bf33d87762125390c82376c.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

I don’t think it’s possible to blur a layer – or part of it – without rasterising it in the Affinity applications.
The blur works by moving pixels around and to do so it needs a raster at some point in the process.

To get part of the layer blurred you could:

• duplicate the layer;
  • add a Blur Effect to the duplicate;
  • add a linear transparency gradient to one layer;
  • add a reversed linear transparency gradient to the other;
  • adjust transparency gradients as necessary.

See attached image for a very simple example.

Screenshot 2021-01-11 100611.png

As GaryP already stated, it's difficult to get in AD parts blured with those filters/effects without rasterization.  - You have to try out with gradient overlays if you maybe can emulate in some way a blur effect here in such a manner that it isn't rasterized then.

In SVG you can blur areas/sections etc., but you can't generate it that way out of AD, or then reimport it in that way back into AD then. - A small SVG example can be seen here ...

Maybe the best would be you cover/hide that shown encircled portion with another copy of the underlayed shape.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

... It would be read back as an effect, too and not as a rasterized feature.

Seems it can at least handle a single SVG "feGaussianBlur" command here, though in my former tryouts together with parsing in also offset and blend, aka "feOffset" and "feBlend" it won't perform that ...

<defs>
    <filter id="f1" x="0" y="0" width="200%" height="200%">
      <feOffset result="offOut" in="SourceAlpha" dx="5" dy="10" />
      <feGaussianBlur result="blurOut" in="offOut" stdDeviation="10" />
      <feBlend in="SourceGraphic" in2="blurOut" mode="normal" />
    </filter>
</defs>

... since it looks like it doesn't know to handle the SVG offset and blend commands.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

31 minutes ago, telemax said:

The interesting part here is, that the SVG Export panel will show always that "nothing will be rasterized" (even with or without under the "more" setting setup option "only needed parts" or "to not rasterization anything") ...

Blur.jpg.ae8504bcc5ddf2a7a889307d96898d15.jpg

... but the SVG generated code tells/shows another story then ...

Blur_code.jpg.08b0ff6f55a82305612da9fda6a211b8.jpg

So one can't trust what the Export panel tells here for rasterization or not, one always better also prove the generated code with an text editor!

1 hour ago, BofG said:

How long did you wait? I've noticed it can often take tens of seconds to update this label.

Until the Mississippi overflooded. - But you can try it out yourself with above file from telemax.