You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW files as layers, aligning etc

Hi,

From what I've read I can't open a multiple raw files in the Develop Persona ? If I want to do the same edits on multiple images I can use the New Batch Job but it won't export them as RAW files it will have to be jpeg, png etc ?

If I have ten RAW images for example of the same image with different focus or lighting I will have to use the New Batch Job for global edits but then can I open them as separate layers in the Photo Persona ? Can I then use New Stack or New Focus Merge using the layers in the Photo Persona ?

Thanks.

You can use RAW images now for New Stack or New Focus Merge. It's just likely that you won't like the results as well as if you used Developed images instead, because only Open and New Batch Job include the full set of Develop Assistant options in their processing of RAW images.

Manual development by using Open will probably give the best results, as it gives you the ability to hand-tailor each image in the Develop Persona before moving to the Photo Persona, where you could save it as a TIFF to keep the best fidelity before further processing.

But New Batch Job and saving as a TIFF will probably at least give better results than putting the RAW images directly into New Stack or New Focus Merge.

Another possibility, if you have similar RAW files, is to Open one of them, click Develop without making any adjustments in the Develop Persona, and then record a macro as you make further adjustments in the Photo Persona. Then you could save that Macro in the Library, and apply it to your other similar files when you develop them using the batch job.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

So I would edit one image recording the adjustments as macros then open the New batch Job and put the macros in that I want to take effect on the other images ?

Can I then either use New Focus Merge or New Stack on the images I have just created in the New Batch Job ?

If I had other images I want to add as layers after is it just a case of going to File and Place and this will add them to my layers ?

Yes, to all three.

Except that using File > Place won't add them to the focus merge or to the stack. They would just be additional layers, but you could add them after completing work on the focus merge or finalizing the stack processing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Yes, to all three.

Except that using File > Place won't add them to the focus merge or to the stack. They would just be additional layers, but you could add them after completing work on the focus merge or finalizing the stack processing.

Thanks, yes I was going to use the File - Place to add the other image(s) to the layers then use an inverted mask and paint over just the areas I wanted to show.