You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey all. I'm using Affinity Designer beta 1.9.0.11 - am I correct in only being able to find the Text Frame Panel by clicking the button in the Context Toolbar when I have a Path Text object selected?

It seems to be a proper dockable panel, shouldn't it be in the VIEW > STUDIO menu list? I can't even locate the panel in App store version 1.86. ...It's late here, maybe I need sleep...

At the very least I would think that it should be in the Context Toolbar when a Text Frame is active?

The Panel I am referring to is attached. Thanks for any insight. 🙂

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.29.44 AM.png

The Text Frame Panel is a Publisher-only feature and, as such, not (currently, as of 1.8.6) available in Designer.

In Designer 1.9.0.885 (beta) there’s a button for it in the Context Toolbar when a Text on Path layer is selected but I can’t get it to do anything when I press it. I don’t know if I’m using it wrong or if it’s not supposed to be there. Either way I wouldn’t expect it to be available from the “View → Studio” menu since it’s not a Designer function.

Edited by GarryP
Added extra info'.

I think it's a bug that the Text Frame button is there. It's there on Windows, too, in the 1.9 beta, but doesn't do anything for me. It's not there in 1.8.5 on Windows.

It should be reported in the beta forum, probably.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think it's a bug that the Text Frame button is there. It's there on Windows, too, in the 1.9 beta, but doesn't do anything for me. It's not there in 1.8.5 on Windows.

It should be reported in the beta forum, probably.

I will do that guys thanks.

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

The Text Frame Panel is a Publisher-only feature and, as such, not (currently, as of 1.8.6) available in Designer.

In Designer 1.9.0.885 (beta) there’s a button for it in the Context Toolbar when a Text on Path layer is selected but I can’t get it to do anything when I press it. I don’t know if I’m using it wrong or if it’s not supposed to be there. Either way I wouldn’t expect it to be available from the “View → Studio” menu since it’s not a Designer function.

It does work on a text frame. I used it to create columns... and you're right it doesn't do anything for path text...  

Hey @MattP any chance someone could look into this? Cheers!

Just checked and it seems to be the same situation in the latest 1.9.0.14 Mac version.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 12.54.45 PM.png

Edited by retrograde
added an image

• Staff
16 hours ago, retrograde said:

Hey @MattP any chance someone could look into this? Cheers!

Just checked and it seems to be the same situation in the latest 1.9.0.14 Mac version.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 12.54.45 PM.png

Thanks for letting us know. Path Text has gained some improvements made in Publisher, and looks to have accidentally picked that button up when it shouldn't. As GarryP and Walt mentioned on Windows it doesn't display the Panel (similar to another older issue), but does on the Mac.

I'll get this passed over to development as the button shouldn't be there.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for letting us know. Path Text has gained some improvements made in Publisher, and looks to have accidentally picked that button up when it shouldn't. As GarryP and Walt mentioned on Windows it doesn't display the Panel (similar to another older issue), but does on the Mac.

I'll get this passed over to development as the button shouldn't be there.

Thanks.

Gotcha @Sean P thanks!  Although it would be cool if it did stick around for the Frame Text tool, to create columns with in Designer.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.