You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes are not adopted as contours with drawn Shapes. Bug or not?

I don´t know if this is a Bug, but it seems so.
If i draw a shape, let´s say a triangle like in the videos and i want to add a contour with a brush, the brush will not be taken as contour to the shape.
In Designer (second Video) this works.

Behavior in Photo...

Behavior in Designer..

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

The Textured Line Style stroke setting requires a vector brush, @Uwe367. Photo has only raster brushes, so it's not usable there. It's only usable in the Designer Persona of Designer or Publisher.

Not a bug, except possibly that one should not even be able to try to select it in Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell
I thougt something like that what you explained, but then the next question comes up in me.
Why is this function even available in Photo when it is not usable? In my opinion, this only causes confusion. Understand me right please. It´s not a bug and someone who knows it will not try to use it, but someone, who begins to work with photo, will ask again when he try´s to use this.
So it is my opinion to remove this function from photo because it makes no sense in this area. How do you think about that?

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

As I said above, possibly one should not be able to specify it at all in Photo. So I agree with you on that.

It's also a potential problem in the Publisher Persona and Photo Persona in Publisher, and in the Pixel Persona in Designer. All of them allow specifying the Textured Line option when they do not have any applicable brushes.

But note that the control needs to be present in all cases, because such a stroke may be created in Designer (Designer Persona), and then the file may be used in a different application or in the Pixel Persona, and the user needs to know that a Textured Line is set for the stroke. And the user needs to be able to turn that option off, at a minimum. So it's not as simple as removing that control completely in the Personas where it's not usable. And I don't think there's a good way to have it shown as grayed out (not usable) while also showing that it's set.

So it's not an easy problem to resolve.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1