You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get PNG to merge with black background?

I have a PNG image for a book cover, and need it to merge with the black tone of the background.

But even though it is a PNG, and I would expect (in my ignorance) the image to merge with the background, you can see a grey box around the image. 

Is there a way to have the image sit on the background without the grey box showing? 

I could try changing the whole background to the same grey box color, but that's not my preference.

I've upload all relevant files here.

Thanks.

MoEM 2017.png

M:M_AFF_test_1.afphoto

A simple blend range adjustment would sort this in a few clicks

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Did you make the swirl, if so do you still have the swirl in another app that you could export without a background?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1. Select the swirl image layer
  2. Use the Flood Select Tool, to select the black (a single click is all that is needed) Make sure the Contiguous option is unchecked and that the tolerance is set to about 2-4%
  3. Click on the refine button on the tool context menu.
    image.png.12d836434949380cfe02fa5edef2f087.png
  4. Set the refine window like this and click apply
    image.png.4df58bdef742d31fe1ab66370159d22b.png
  5. Select the Move Tool (V) and Click on the mask layer icon see black arrow position below
    image.png.54743d63b84f0d5aa4e9d96a29da0c5e.png
  6. Go to Layer > Invert on the top menu
  7. image.png.07c9f33435b4b346b5de7cd9afefa9da.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 hours ago, firstdefence said:
  1. Select the swirl image layer
  2. Use the Flood Select Tool, to select the black (a single click is all that is needed)
  3. Click on the refine button on the tool context menu.
    image.png.12d836434949380cfe02fa5edef2f087.png
  4. Set the refine window like this and click apply
    image.png.4df58bdef742d31fe1ab66370159d22b.png
  5. Click on the mask layer icon see black arrow position below
    image.png.54743d63b84f0d5aa4e9d96a29da0c5e.png
  6. Go to Layer > Invert on the top menu
  7. image.png.07c9f33435b4b346b5de7cd9afefa9da.png

I got as far as step 5, Click on the mask layer icon - but could not get this working. I cannot select only the mask - the background is always selected as well

8 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Follow the steps in @firstdefence 's post, using this tool, you'll get a more perfect selection this way, and you'll be able to modify the mask painting on it with black and white if needed:

2021-01-10_102159.png.d46e37e9a0832d0713bd7ce7b30716cb.png

I tried to follow all this - but I still ended up with the same grey box. I'll try it again from the top ...

I think I followed it better this time, but now have an outline around the grey box when I zoom in

When he says: select the black

Which black is he referring to? The black background (left me with same grey box), or the grey box (left me with grey outline of box)?

Select the Move tool (V) and click on the mask.

I've just seen another error in my instruction. When you select the Flood select tool you also need to uncheck the contiguous option so that it selects all the black on the background layer, apologises for that mistake.

The instructions I have posted above have been amended to reflect the missing steps.

13 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

As I wrote: I got as far as step 5, Click on the mask layer icon - but could not get this working. I cannot select only the mask - the background is always selected as well

Can you see where I'm going wrong?

By the way, the tool you have circled isn't actually the flood select tool, that's the selection brush tool, the tool you need to use is the tool to the right that looks like a magic wand.

Hi, I didn't merge them, although once the masking process has been completed you can select both layers and right click to Merge Visible, this is a non-destructive process and will create a separate layer with both layers merged.

I can make a short video of the whole process if you like?

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

Hi, I didn't merge them, although once the masking process has been completed you can select both layers and right click to Merge Visible, this is a non-destructive process and will create a separate layer with both layers merged.

I can make a short video if you like?

That could be helpful, thank you.

When you say 'select the black' in your instructions - which black are you referring to? The background, or the grey in the box?

Ok I'll make a video, Im referring to the grey, so I'm working solely on the image layer (Background) not the black rectangle below.

There you go, this shows the masking process and how to merge the layers. You can simply turn off the layers below the merged layer and export to your file format of choice.

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

There you go, this shows the masking process and how to merge the layers. You can simply turn off the layers below the merged layer and export to your file format of choice.

Thank you. 

If I click the inside of the circle, only the inside is selected. Likewise if I select the outside of the circle (but still within that box)

Where might I be going wrong?

Also, how do you create your videos?

You need to uncheck the contiguous option (9 sec into the video)

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You need to uncheck the contiguous option (9 sec into the video)

Works great, thanks guys. I only noticed you check contiguous, not uncheck it again. It's like learning to drive again - so many things to pay attention to.

One last thing: for the final layout I have many other cover elements, including text boxes. And I need to have all the elements ungrouped until the last minute, as I need to do tiny adjustments to line everything up. How would you recommend I handle the masking, given that there are so many other elements on the page? Do I just untick everything that I don't want to work with, and perform the steps in your video?

Yes you can do, I would also look at grouping elements and locking the group so you cannot inadvertently select them on the workspace.

You can right click and select group or select Group layers from the bottom of the layer panel.