You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing issue from Publisher on Canon iP8700 series

I am fairly regularly seeing a problem with printing from Affinity Publisher on my Canon printer.

The document mostly prints OK but certain images - possibly rotated ones, overlapping ones and/or transparent-backgrounded ones - have strange omitted portions on the resultant print.

It's definitely a Publisher issue, because when I export to PDF and print exactly the same document from Acrobat, the issues are not present.

I have known this to happen across several versions of Publisher over a fairly long period (possibly as long as Publisher has been around) but not got around to logging it as a bug until now (sorry!).

I've attached some images of it happening on a recent print-out. All three of the rectangular images (which are non-transparent PNG files placed into the document and then rotated to various angles into a sort of collage of overlapping images) should be whole rectangles but two have corners cut off and one has a very weird triangular omission which I've not seen before.

Is there anything further I can share by way of assisting with investigating and resolving this bug?

Thanks!

20210109_132727.jpg

20210109_132721.jpg

20210109_132716.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Gabe,

I too must apologise for the slow reply - although by luck it seems I have come back to this just as v1.9 with "Save As Package" has been released, so I've been able to package up the project I shared the photos of with all its dozens of images!

However the Dropbox link you shared has now expired. Are you able to create me another Dropbox request link please?

Thanks!
Paul

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I can confirm these print problems on my Canon G6040 printer, as you can see:

tlacova-chyba02.jpg.67101256b85e6532c8b1b3f0e346f2d2.jpgtlacova-chyba04.jpg.4476456e3f8df3ddb9cc4b536048439c.jpgtlacova-chyba03.jpg.7224d8c6a57b3e54bf5f82a0b4552bcb.jpg

As @bitoclass says, there are errors in images that are rotated or rotated + scaled, etc.

Did some "research" and have found that:

• Sometimes there are not omissions but "add-ons" in the form of black lines. In this example is ordinary heart shape with "Classic pencil 2B (for closed curves)" brush applied. Then rotated + scaled, of course:

tlacova-chyba01.jpg.5f6112e4f5376208dc9c87920a58bb4d.jpg

• Your advice to turn on "Rasterise entire page" solves the problems.
  • There weren't issues with other printer (Brother).
  • The same document (with color checker) replicated in Xara works fine.
  • Then I tried to rasterise the image first (so it's 'Pixel' in the Layers) and then applied the same transforms to it in the same document. And this is the result - 'Pixel' on the left, 'Image' on the right:

tlacova-chyba05.jpg.5067721b7bde165ebde22c39dfdcf892.jpg