You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash while applying master page

CorinSul

I've been working on a document with around 60 pages for a few weeks now. Everything worked fine until I noticed a few days ago that the background image at the right bleed is no longer displayed for some pages. So I wanted to apply the master page again, but Publisher crashed.

I tried to isolate the error a bit. The error occurs with the file attached if I drag the master page "Text right" towards the right side of the master page "Text". The app crashes the moment the mouse cursor reaches the right side of the master page "Text".

Interestingly, when I delete pages 4 and 5 or 6 and 7, the app does not crash anymore (but the right bleed is still wrong).

Publisher used: 1.8.6 (MacOS 10.15.7 and 16 GB RAM)

Kind Regards,
Martin

Test.afpub

Hi CorinSul,
Welcome to the Affinity Forum!

The missing image in the right bleed area appears to be caused by a nested master layer width of 213 which probably should be 216 mm. Perhaps when positioning the single page masters to the two-page masters you scaled it unintentionally. Or you adjusted master layer widths in purpose to avoid the overlap at the inner bleed on the spreads – if yes, you alternatively can set the inner bleed to 0 for all spreads in the "Document Setup...".

So it seems when adjusting the width of master Kapitel rechts on the master spreads (e.g. Kapitel ohne linkem Text) the nested master Leere Seite did scale, too, but wasn't positioned properly (still starts at negative x for this page) – whereas the image paper_right inside this master Leere Seite maintained its width of 216 (but is visually clipped by its parent layer).

To fix it you could start moving the nested Leere Seite layer + 3 mm / or adjusting the 213 widths to 216 / or, if you decide to avoid the document's inner bleed, adjust more master layers accordingly.

1623332656_master1.thumb.jpg.04b10cc924680589644e3f1f1a0aefc5.jpg

1897541673_master2.jpg.84d474391c0c8f9063b2014e57040cf0.jpg

621373928_master3.jpg.c3ed35a12ea1aeedd48edc37f74fd8f5.jpg

p.s.: I didn't looked for or test what might cause the crash. – Just one more thought about masters: instead single master pages you also could create spreads (e.g. with the two papers) and assign a specific page only to a certain master, e.g. its even or odd half only:

680205074_masterproperty1.jpg.b523bd1192d63debe422e9983b6ea215.jpg  >>  1689155790_masterproperty2applysingleevenodd.jpg.75ecfb8a8d2ad907360f0e1a9ececf71.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi thomaso,

thank you very much for your reply and for pointing out why the image is missing in the right bleed area. I now have defined the master pages differently (as you recommended in your last paragraph) and everything looks fine again.

As for the problem with the still crashing app: I think I've come a little further here. It seems to be due to a pinned picture:

1. Create a new document and add a master page with two columns of text
  2. Add two more pages with filler text
  3. Add a picture and pin it to some text on that page
  4. Apply the master page to this page again -> crash

I have attached an example file with steps 1 to 3 already done.

EDIT: publisher does not crash if the Pinning Studio is active while doing step 4, but it always crashes if the Layers Studio is active. Strange.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it a bug?

Best Regards,
Martin

Test2.afpub

Edited by CorinSul

20 minutes ago, CorinSul said:

As for the problem with the still crashing app: I think I've come a little further here. It seems to be due to a pinned picture:

1. Create a new document and add a master page with two columns of text
  2. Add two more pages with filler text
  3. Add a picture and pin it to some text on that page
  4. Apply the master page to this page again -> crash

I have attached an example file with steps 1 to 3 already done.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it a bug?

I am not seeing this with Mac OS 10.14.6 Publisher 1.8.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Indeed. I can confirm this crash, caused by dragging the master page icon on the layout window. The app disappears even before releasing mouse button.
Whereas it works failurefree with another document.

@CorinSul, previously I did not get the crash with the layers panel visible when I assigned the master not by dragging. Instead right click on the page icon + choose an entry from the pop-menu which opens another options window.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1