You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The 2 things stopping me from buying affinity

I come from Adobe Illustrator, and I'm disappointed to find that affinity looks like a nice piece of software but lacks the most basic features at the same time.

Image Trace - the only promising alternative is mac only and still not as good as adobe

Path Blend - Nothing beats a dynamic shape and color blending tool

These two features alone would prompt me to purchase the software, and a lot of people are with me on this. Affinity is leaving a boat load of money on the table by not prioritizing this. Anyways, peace out. I'll be back in 4 years to see if it gets added.

5 hours ago, ZachFB said:

I come from Adobe Illustrator, and I'm disappointed to find that affinity looks like a nice piece of software but lacks the most basic features at the same time.

Image Trace - the only promising alternative is mac only and still not as good as adobe

Path Blend - Nothing beats a dynamic shape and color blending tool

These two features alone would prompt me to purchase the software, and a lot of people are with me on this. Affinity is leaving a boat load of money on the table by not prioritizing this. Anyways, peace out. I'll be back in 4 years to see if it gets added.

Hello @ZachFB and welcome to the forum. Even if it looks it will be for only a short time reading your last statement.

It would have been a good practice to first search the forum to see if there is already a discussion about the features you are missing. Actually there are 🙂

This thread goes over (currently) 14 pages:

Here's a list of alternative solutions for tracing by forum member @v_kyr. So there's no urgent need to implement this feature in AD (even though I do not object the suggestion to have it implemented):

The same applies to vector blend:

I admit this is a technique that cannot be done in AD right now and there is no workaround for it. Unless you use a seperate software and import the result.

Apart from that, both, image trace and vector blend are in my opinion not 'most basic' features. But we do not have to discuss this since everyone has different priorities.

Good luck,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

8 hours ago, KEDesigns said:

The problem with the "solutions" above is that they're anywhere from 2-6 years old (the threads), so there doesn't seem to be current information on whether or not this feature is actually available, which is what I'm trying to figure out.

Hello @KEDesigns,

welcome to the forum.

For an orientation on what is available you can look at the feature listings on the website. I assume you already did 🙂

Next stop is to check current features in public testing at the beta forum. At the top of each forum there is a post listing latest additions (plus fixes or improvements). I link to the current ADbeta on Windows. It is worth looking at elder release notes linked in these posts.

Then, in general, it is a good thing to look at the posts in the beta forum. This gives an idea of what is most discussed currently and most likely new features are at the top of the listing 🙂

If you don't find what you are looking for you still can search the forum or ask specifically for a certain feature. But rule of thumb is if you didn't find it so far the feature is not implemented yet.

So if you describe what you are trying to figure out we perhaps can help you.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

THE VARIOUS THINGS THAT DO NOT LET US GO FROM THE HATEFUL ILLUSTRATOR TO AFFINITY DESIGNER:

1. The creation of Dynamic shapes (shape builder tools)

2. The management of the guides !!! (although it is useful to have a guide management panel), I think it is VERY LITTLE INTUITIVE AND RHINESTONE:
a) impossible to select a specific guide to move it on the X Y axis, or better if I have a job with 100 registered guides how do I know which value corresponds to the x guide? if you have to move it to see which value changes to understand the corresponding value in the panel.
it would be more logical to handle similar to how it works in ADOBE.
b) unable to select all guides
c) impossible to have a visual reference between the value of the guide recorded in the panel and the actual guide on the drawing board
d) impossible to convert vector object into guide
e) unable to select and guides to clone them on a new table
In practice it would be all to review the guide management

3. creation of a circle passing through 2 or 3 points (essential for the geometric creation of shapes)

4. visualization of the separation of the RGB / CMYK / SPOT channels for the pre-press verification of the color selections
also the display of color overprint

5. perspective creation

6. 3d drawing (like AI)

I strongly believe that affinity designer already has extraordinary potential that Illustrator in his 30 years of career has never had, especially in speed, lightness of the software and precision in drawing (which is fundamental for a vector design software), Ai is really bad in this, but it remains a standard.
I hope Affinity will make a move to close the (albeit minimal) gap with the competition.