You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone,

Lately I've been working on many grayscale line charts for a research paper and I'm finding one thing very frustrating.

See my Screen capture >> When a line is selected their isn't any indication of what color it is? In this case I have the line selected and would like to find its grayscale level in the palette. Is this possible?

Thanks

Outline_color.jpg

No it doesn't highlight the used color among those possibly being already inside the color swatches. When in doubt to identify you can add it additionally to the swatches (though it might be already there).

colors.jpg.af66c654a19c2115e4273898f543462e.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

26 minutes ago, MarkPrima said:

When a line is selected their isn't any indication of what color it is? In this case I have the line selected and would like to find its grayscale level in the palette. Is this possible?

Not in the Swatches palette. Use the colour palette instead.

1106753240_ScreenShot2021-01-08at10_26_57AM.png.da51e936b69a40d4ce1880ece27846ac.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I know I should know this but for some reason I can't find it

What panel is the short name Apr referring to?

Anyone?

apr.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Carl123 APR = Appearance 

The Appearance panel is only in Affinity Designer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

@Carl123 APR = Appearance

I had thought that initially but the Appearance panel is APP on mine

app.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

[...] the Color panel shows ad hoc color-profile based conversions of the actual definition so it cannot be used to deduce that actual color definition an object fill or outline has[...]

On a Mac, so hopefully on Windows, if you disable the little padlock in Colour panel then an actual colour definition will be shown when an object is selected or a palette swatch is clicked.

It would generally be helpful to have a visual color swatch highlight indication among the palette swatches, as far as a choosen color is already among those swatches then, aka which one is it.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

It would generally be helpful to have a visual color swatch highlight indication among the palette swatches, as far as a choosen color is already among those swatches then, aka which one is it.

Do you never get them highlighted? What if you click on a swatch?

To me (mac, still v.184) it works in the Swatches Panel, in both list & icon view, when selecting an object with an assigned swatch.
It doesn't work in the color popup options via Context Toolbar, neither in Swatches nor in Gradient > Swatches tabs.

34465914_colorswatchhighlightselected.jpg.9fb20faa763c8644b7bea48b14823cae.jpg

Unfortunately in context toolbar > gradients > swatches there is no list view available, that makes it there even harder for users of swatch names.

656397768_colorswatchhighlightselected2.jpg.ebe63b02bd12aa5c0a78d142bdbc4b9a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso & @Lagarto sorry I didn't expressed that well, I didn't mean the vertical list view, instead the "Recent" and horizontal matrix style arranged swatch views. - There a color already available in one of those color swatches could be surrounded by a red rectangle or the like for a better visual indication.

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

On Windows gradient swatch assignments never work, but solid color assignments work also in context of the Toolbar. Color assignments from the standard (factory) palettes also work both in the Swatches panel and in context of the Toolbar.

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

Another related problem is that assignments are not always repainted so to see that assignment is "on" manual refreshing is sometimes needed (e.g. switching to another palette and then back).

Ah, indeed, even more odd, confusing. Haven't tried above to click/assign a swatch in the context toolbar UI. Now to me there the (gradient) swatch assignments do work AND successfully cause a swatch highlight to appear, even in any of these tabs. But then I run into your mentioned redraw/update issue when switching a palette (+ still wrong highlight in the Swatches Panel, too). The highlights seem to stick in various places, so even getting it updated at one doesn't update it at all occurrences.

Note the conflicting swatch highlights in this 3 consecutively moments:

1. In the context toolbar color popup I switch to a gradients palette + click a gradient swatch = it gets highlighted + gets assigned. But the highlight in the Swatches Panel isn't updated:

979653669_colorswatchhighlightselected3assigngradientswatch.jpg.776c3894e341ba58f0c22ea03c0e7d64.jpg

2. When switching back to the former solid palette it now displays a highlight but not for the selected object, it's wrong according to the wrong highlight in Swatches Panel:

1263141981_colorswatchhighlightselected4.jpg.1d0a2bad68ff02ecc7ce290a6b3f928e.jpg

3. I click another swatch in this current solid palette > it gets assigned + highlighted. The Swatches Panel still wrongly highlights its same initially/previously selected swatch.

441732140_colorswatchhighlightselected5.jpg.343ab18a4c2d72635fa200be4806bf58.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

I had thought that initially but the Appearance panel is APP on mine

app.png

This is what I get, Mac HS 10.13.6 maybe it's a Mac windows thing or even just a version thing.

image.png.1fe7772a4a223da7fd18aa3dbbee0f2b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions