You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean Problem: Divide, Add and Gaps

Hey everyone I really like Affiniy Designer but I am annoyed by these issues. Its impossible to make any kind of complex logos or complex objects with the boolean tool. 

I made an example (see first video) with three circles that overlapping and used the divide boolean operation to create a circle with three sections. The end result is more than disappointing.
The edge where only two circles overlap each other it looks okay-ish. But on the edge where all three circles overlap its a whole new story. After deleting the unnecessary micro forms you see the whole disaster.
It creates something that looks more like a zigzag line than a smooth curve.

As a work around to not getting this unclean line I can do it step by step (costs more time) but there is that other problem.
The gap between the forms. sorry but can somebody explain me why this is happening? They should be in line also after using Divide. You can see in the second video that the blue color shines through the two forms.

Ohh an the cherry on the top if you using Divide to make a form and you want to Add them back together it is not possible, because of the thin gap.

It must be said that one big problem with Serif has always been that they put efforts into new features (which is good), but at the cost of not fixing long standing bugs (which is not so good). Obviously it's a case of trying to get the balance right, but it does get a bit annoying that, after few years, you end up with a product with lots of nice "bells and whistles" but which becomes more and more frustrating because of all the bugs and work-arounds that you have live with.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Don't hold your breath on this. I downloaded the Affinity Designer trial in March 2020, and immediately ran into this issue.

I emailed support with a detailed explanation of the problem, and the attached video demonstration comparing identical workflows in Designer and Illustrator. I received a reply stating that it was already a known issue and was logged with the developers, and would hopefully be fixed very soon.

On the basis of the above information I purchased the Designer desktop and iOS apps, but have so far been unable to use either of them for my illustration work because of this problem. I've had to stick with Adobe Illustrator CS6 instead.

In April 2020 I emailed support again, to let them know that I'd narrowed the cause of the error down to the Divide operation creating slightly mis-matched curves when dealing with curved geometry.

I've emailed for an update a couple of times since then, and the reply has remained that the problem is with the developers to be fixed.

On the Affinity website Designer is described as being 'full of tools meticulously developed for achieving high productivity, while maintaining 100 percent accurate geometry', under the heading 'Rock solid vector tools'. Unfortunately I have a hard time agreeing with these statements at present, but I do hold onto the hope that it will eventually be resolved. I particularly look forward to being able to use the Designer iOS app for my illustration work.