You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.885

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Fixed Adjustment layers not invalidating the bleed and pasteboard area they affect 
  • Added Export Preview
  • Added resumable downloads 
  • Changed Lock Colourspace (on the Colour Chooser etc) to be on by default
  • Added missing Reapply Base Styles text menu entry
  • Fixed being unable to apply Styles with a single click 
  • Fixed Layer Effects being incorrectly rasterised in PDF export

1.9.0.876 release notes

• Added Export Preview

Ehm, a microscopic preview? Weird when exporting poster sized documents. Not usable for even small JPG images. How can anyone inspect the preview for JPG artifacts, check gradients and details?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

5 minutes ago, Jowday said:
  • Added Export Preview

Ehm, a microscopic preview of a poster sized document?

See discussion in the Photo Beta topic, especially this post:

and this one:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This is my first post and I want to thank the Affinity Designer team for the amazing program.

I spent over 10 hours last week with the latest released version (non-beta) extensively comparing Bilinear, Bicubic and Lanczos3 resampling methods.  I shrank and enlarged different images using each resampling method, exported them to PNG, and compared them side by side in FastStone.  It was extremely tedious.  When I saw that Preview was added to Export in Designer I immediately downloaded the Beta.

The fact that the Preview window is not maximizable to full screen is nothing short of ridiculous for the awesome program Designer is.  It almost renders the feature useless.  Yes you can zoom and pan, but the window is insultingly too small.  I also see the narrower aspect ratio reported above.

11 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

but the window is insultingly too small.

It's already been acknowledged that the inability to resize the preview window is a bug so expect a fix for that in a future beta update

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

I spent over 10 hours last week with the latest released version (non-beta) extensively comparing Bilinear, Bicubic and Lanczos3 resampling methods.  I shrank and enlarged different images using each resampling method, exported them to PNG, and compared them side by side in FastStone.

Interesting that you have been doing this. Recently, I have also been doing something similar in Photo using the various resampling algorithms. So far I have only applied it to a black-and-white image and I have to say that any differences are minuscule! I would be interested to see your resampled images and see what, if any, differences you have seen.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 hours ago, Arun Sarkar said:

I like a Preview Option in Export just like Serif's Plus Application.

Untitled.jpg

Yes. The integrated options and preview window is perhaps out of reach now in Affinity. Especially in the short run.

What really matters:

• What percentage am I viewing
  • Easy navigation when zoomed into the image (like the navigator panel) *
  • Toolbar with +/- and percentage plus zoom slider
  • You have to see the preview and have access to the quality slider when saving JPG - like above. And when changing other parameters. Problem with a separate export window and the new preview window is that the export window is centered and the preview window will overlap if you resize it just a bit. The smaller the screen resolution, the bigger the problem. So a little puzzle for Serif to solve.

* Inspiration for Serif: This is how it works in Capture One Pro 2.1. Press (and hold) SPACE and navigate around in the pop-up navigation window. No permanent navigation panel necessary:

zoom.gif.681516893e31d3b35562c8a222f7c461.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

New version looks superb, but first time I will go back and hold. 1 freeze, and 2 immediate appcrash (second time without autosave) in about 10-15 minutes. Maybe its my rig, but never have this before.

edit: File attached. click/double click on nose - crash. It maybe connected with broken file or that I tried to add this gradient on nose to global colors (thats when things started to broke suddenly)

Slide01.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the files. 

I believe this is the same Layer crash that has been plaguing 885 (see other recent threads around the beta forum). If I turn off the Layers Panel and then double click his nose it won't crash. It looks like its crashing as it expands the object in the Layers Panel.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, RainerH said:

Download of the three Affinity-Betat-Apps for Windows ist very slow. Testet my connection 92 Mbps down 34 Mbps up and Ping 11 ms.

Our downloads are served up by Amazon AWS so it could be a temporary blip with the AWS server you're connected to. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about that.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the files. 

I believe this is the same Layer crash that has been plaguing 885 (see other recent threads around the beta forum). If I turn off the Layers Panel and then double click his nose it won't crash. It looks like its crashing as it expands the object in the Layers Panel.

Thanks. I started new file, but again, after minute or two it started to crash. Without Layers Panel work will be  _Quite annoing_ so I will wait this time. Anyway, good job Designer is really nice app, and I use betas mostly  I think from 1.7 or 1.6 and its the second time when they fails me, so its nothing.

18 hours ago, Sean P said:

Our downloads are served up by Amazon AWS so it could be a temporary blip with the AWS server you're connected to. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about that.

Today not better. Designer: 2 days left...