You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF import/export problem

I'm trying to modify (another) PDF artwork file created in AI. The file doesn't import correctly but doesn't show any errors. In an attempt to figure out what was happening I found out that exporting the result back to a PDF also causes an error and fails to create any file - other than flatten which doesn't help in my case.

I enabled debug and found this in the resulting log file:

[Last exception 1404 in PDF_shading]["Option 'stopcolors' has too many values (> 500)"]

I'm wondering if this provides any clues as to what might be wrong.

I can't provide the original artwork as this is confidential.

The file contains a background image with a repeating pattern which I think might be the culprit as it imports as a stretched image and not evenly spaced at the original size that you see using Acrobat Reader . I don't have access to AI where I am to check any of this at the moment.

Any thoughts?

(Affinity Designer 1.8.5 for Windows)

The 1.9 beta also behaves in the same manner.

• Staff

Hi Paul Mc,

It sounds as though the document is trying to export an object with a gradient containing over 500 stops! Would you be willing to send the PDF you imported to our internal Dropbox account so we can investigate please? I understand it is confidential so if you would still rather not send it that's fine. However as its a source PDF i would have imagined it to not exceed that amount of stops.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/EkAD9J6WAGUieVh2n52k