You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.885

12 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

what about Photo?

Exactly the same. No trace of the proces in task manager. Holding CTRL when starting it/them doesn't help either.

Older laptop with Windows 10 20H2 and GPU etc. not funky enough for hardware acc.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

16 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Exactly the same. No trace of the proces in task manager. Holding CTRL when starting it/them doesn't help either.

Older laptop with Windows 10 20H2 and GPU etc. not funky enough for hardware acc.

Can you get it to show the CTRL start options (hold CTRL when starting the process)?

Have you tried a machine reboot?

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Try disabling Hardware Acceleration and see if that makes a difference.

it wasn't enabled as my GPU isn't supported

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Can you get it to show the CTRL start options (hold CTRL when starting the process)?

I shut down the PC. Turned on again. Both apps do not start.

Holding CTRL does not work either.

In fact the proces looks like it is terminated within 1-2 seconds. I click on the icon, see the busy pointer for a brief moment, then the pointer goes back to normal. No proces hanging in task manager either.

Is it a regression? The first beta of 1.9 terminated too when some DLL or whatever was not present/installed.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

Where do they state it is a new Persona?

In the Help. For example, in the Creating an Astrophotography Stack topic:

The Astrophotography Stack Persona's key controls are located in the right studio, where you can specify the files to be stacked and how they are processed.

Also, note the behavior: It has its own set of Studio panels. And in Keyboard Shortcuts in Preferences, it's listed as a Persona:

image.png.082b1dda9f1ace7875324eb7db4ed410.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Why isn't Export Preview a part of the Export Persona as well? If anything I would have expected it to replace the entire document window with the preview showing the final render results. Just based off of my attempts at changing the settings with regular Export, the feature seems to be decently fast at previewing the results. Big issue as others have said is the weirdly laid out UI with no controls to get a better idea of the final results. The window is way too small as well. Personally I would have preferred it if the preview window was built into the Export Settings window, but if that's not going to happen, I would at least expect the Preview window to be resizable and a lot larger than it currently is by default.

Also, I found a software crashing bug while using the feature as well as a visual bug. Some of the export options don't have a live preview of the final render, like .psd, but the Preview window still attempts to render even if the option doesn't exist for specific file types. The window should honestly tell the user that no preview is available for those file formats or simply close the window (unless you build in the preview into the Export window itself, which would solve the problem as well). One crash that always happens regardless of which export type you choose is when you are zoomed in on the document. If the Preview window is rendering while zoomed in, you can crash the program if you try to use the scroll buttons on the sides of the window.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In the Help. For example, in the Creating an Astrophotography Stack topic:

Also, note the behavior: It has its own set of Studio panels. And in Keyboard Shortcuts in Preferences, it's listed as a Persona:

image.png.082b1dda9f1ace7875324eb7db4ed410.png

Ok, I stand corrected 😃

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

Did some testing with the Export Timelapse feature. One thing I think needs improving is the way the exporting is being handled. Right now the program basically freezes up with no way to cancel the rendering until it is completely done. Another thing I would appreciate is if you had the choice to set markers in the History panel where the rendering is supposed to start and begin. Right now you can only export the entire timeline, which can be problematic if you have a massive file with hundreds of steps. Sometimes you just want to render a smaller section, either to just do quick renders to check video quality or to show specific steps in your workflow. I don't expect that to happen in this Beta, but I hope you consider it for future releases.

My first attempt at rendering was with the 1080p H.264 option. The results were really blurry, but the final file size was only around 16 mb for 3 min of timelapse, which I think is a reasonable trade-off. I do wish however we had the option to create higher quality full HD footage without having to pick native document size or the like, even if the final file size is a bit meatier.

Going to try to render with the other settings available to see if I find one that suits me, but these are my current thoughts as of now.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Right now the program basically freezes up with no way to cancel the rendering until it is completely done.

You should get a progress window? It's not abortable right now, but will be.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

wish however we had the option to create higher quality full HD footage

Have you tried HEVC (H.265)? Though that's only available if you're on Windows 8.1 or later.

18 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

You should get a progress window? It's not abortable right now, but will be.

Have you tried HEVC (H.265)? Though that's only available if you're on Windows 8.1 or later.

This is what happens right now. Glad to hear that that is being added, since the only options are either to wait for the render to finish or quit the program in the task manager.

Haven't tried that one yet. Will check if the results look better. : )

Unfortunately, latest beta is super unstable for me, so much so, that I had to rollback to the previous one.

Like, I create two level layers in a group, and it crashes when I try to expand the group. Or when I was trying to move a layer inside a rectangle.

Given that I can't even test other functionalities, but I also noticed that when exporting timelapse, the quality (bitrate) is super low (crearting a lot of artifacts) and HVEC failed completely to export, just left and empty file. But I like that idea is general, I think I'll start saving files with history just for that.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

It is also possible that this is a bug, a document in a small resolution of 119 x 87 is not exported as a timelapse. But it is exported in 120 x 84.

Tried rendering stuff out from a much less resource intensive document with less effects and such. Was able to see the progress bar this time, but for larger files it seems like Photo just can't handle the workload the same way without making everything unresponsive. HEVC has failed completely on export for me as well. It just doesn't work. Trying to export videos based on "native document size" doesn't seem to work that well either, since the video when played is completely empty despite the thumbnail showing correctly. Maybe it's because my documents are at least 5k x 3,5k in size that it doesn't work so well when rendering? 

Here are some typical problems with rendering artefacts that I have noticed. Tried rendering in 4k as well with no difference. No setting seems to fix them.

8 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Mark, I sent what I see in the event viewer (copy paste of detailed info) to Patrick. Windows is fully updated. I get three log entries related to each Designer or Photo crash. On of them is an unhandled exception in .NET.

Latest beta of Publisher starts normally.

I also experience frequent crashes, The most annoying is simple click on group triangle in layers outliner. It just instacrashes. Hardware acceleration is off (the same when is on)

Look at video for reproduction. Not all folder cause crash. Some opens well. If i delete all other groups, then folder that crashing AP starts to open with no problems

Another problems:
- Gradient tool again defaults to White-Gray instead of White-Black (as on Mac). White-Black is much more usefull

22 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Why is the new Astrophotography Persona accessed via File > New Astrophotography Stack... rather than via a Persona button like the other Personas?

I had asked myself this question earlier with other functions - for example, with the panorama function.

31 minutes ago, Michail said:

I had asked myself this question earlier with other functions - for example, with the panorama function.

No, it's not the same question.

File > New Panorama does not switch you to a new Persona. Perhaps you think it should, but it doesn't. It operates like File > New Stack and the other File > New... menu actions. You're prompted for a list of files, and then some action happens, and you remain in the Photo Persona all the time.

But with File > New Astrophotography Stack you are switched into a new Persona, with an empty canvas area, and a different set of Studio panels, and you have to use one of those new Studio panels to select the files you want to operate on.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, it's not the same question.
File > New Panorama does not switch you to a new Persona. Perhaps you think it should, but it doesn't. It operates like File > New Stack and the other File > New... menu actions. You're prompted for a list of files, and then some action happens, and you remain in the Photo Persona all the time.
But with File > New Astrophotography Stack you are switched into a new Persona, with an empty canvas area, and a different set of Studio panels, and you have to use one of those new Studio panels to select the files you want to operate on.

You get a completely different interface, with a limited menu, a limited number of studio panels and a limited symbol bar. The toolbar is also different.
Also note that the Photo Persona icon image.png.d0b929cd35e1ec3470c3207e807922f3.png in the toolbar is inactive. This is a sign that you are not in the Photo Persona.

image.png.60a200aad01423ce7132f4e52b053da6.png

29 minutes ago, Michail said:

You get a completely different interface, with a limited menu, a limited number of studio panels and a limited symbol bar. The toolbar is also different.
Also note that the Photo Persona icon image.png.d0b929cd35e1ec3470c3207e807922f3.png in the toolbar is inactive. This is a sign that you are not in the Photo Persona.

image.png.60a200aad01423ce7132f4e52b053da6.png

My apologies; I see what you mean. It is after the panorama has been composed. And yes, that does seem to be a different Persona that doesn't act like the others.

So File > New Astrophotography Stack is not the first time a new pseudo-Persona has been added to Photo. Thanks for pointing that out. However, at least File > New Panorama starts out by asking for the images, which feels less confusing to me than the way the Astrophotography implementation works.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, Michail said:

I cannot confirm the phenomena described.

Thanks. Might be something that is performance or video-card related, then. I'll try it on my other PC and see if it reproduces there, and if so try to get a video.

-- Walt
PC:

39 minutes ago, Wosven said:

This version crashes when clicking on the thumbnail of a layer.

b7ee4086-efaa-495a-9fde-8aef3c971704.dmp 2.32 MB · 1 download

35459cc5-4cf2-4576-b63d-07a7c19e0ab1.dmp 2.47 MB · 0 downloads

At least, it's creating dump and recovery files.

Here also uncontrolled crashes, a recovery files will be created.

Cheers

Backtrace.zip

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

On 1/8/2021 at 5:13 PM, Patrick Connor said:

what about Photo?

My gut feeling right now is that it relates to the 20H2 update. The biggest difference between the two laptops is that the one where the betas work is a major Windows update or two behind.

None of them are brand new and none of them have a dedicated graphics card.