You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.885

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features, performance, fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Added Export As Timelapse capability 
  • Added Astrophotography
  • Use the more correct perspective grid drawing for the live perspective tool
  • Fixed Linked filters name
  • Added Export Preview
  • Added resumable downloads 
  • Changed Lock Colourspace (on the Colour Chooser etc) to be on by default
  • Added missing Reapply Base Styles text menu entry
  • Fixed being unable to apply Styles with a single click 
  • Fixed Layer Effects being incorrectly rasterised in PDF export

1.9.0.876 release notes

Export Preview shows as a default (small) size and can't see any way to resize it, also transparent area shown on preview seems wrong. (Also, no pan or zoom with Tablet or standard mouse)

There is also a transparent area (to the right) on portrait-oriented images. 

Windows 8.1

exportpreview.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Export Preview shows as a default (small) size and can't see any way to resize it, also transparent area shown on preview seems wrong. (Also, no pan or zoom with Tablet or standard mouse)

There is also a transparent area (to the right) on portrait-oriented images. 

Windows 8.1

exportpreview.png

Same. It is not clear what I can see in this preview. With such a small image, I cannot appreciate the image quality. It is not at all clear how it can be used with such an implementation.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

Just hope this build will run faster and smoother than the recent build from december which often freezes or run slow

BTW install was kinf of faster this time
File loading is fast but I still have those lags when working on a file

***Opened a template made with previous build so to tryhow the whole thing works but i've now faced 5 crashes, which never happened with old version, was slow but never crashed even once on my PC.

Any fix or instruction on this ?

Edited by Uncle Mez

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff
1 hour ago, carl123 said:

I can zoom with Ctrl and mouse wheel. You can then pan when zoomed in.

We know you cannot resize it.

TIFF fails to generate preview and GIF takes way too long to generate a preview.

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

A bug, current limitation, or as designed?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
2 hours ago, picolo said:

When exporting to Jpeg, the "Save as" dialog box comes up instead.

I think this is just the generic Windows dialog that says Save As in the top corner—it does it will all the formats from what I can see and hasn't changed in the beta. Or are you seeing something different? 

36 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I think this is just the generic Windows dialog that says Save As in the top corner—it does it will all the formats from what I can see and hasn't changed in the beta. Or are you seeing something different? 

It works ok. My mistake.

The new Splash Screen in the .885 Photo and Designer betas acts strangely for me.

It starts out as a rounded rectangle, then after a few seconds turns into a sharp-cornered rectangle, then turns back into a rounded rectangle before it goes away.

The Splash Screen in the .887 Publisher beta does something similar that it's never done before. It starts out normal, with parts of the image extending outside the frame over a transparent background:
image.png.8a1acdd305e3c4108e1e97294ef1b57d.png

but then briefly it gets a black rectangle under the frame, before going back to what it was originally:

image.png.b414e131a3bd23e3ef4cf38a25e0642b.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Why is the new Astrophotography Persona accessed via File > New Astrophotography Stack... rather than via a Persona button like the other Personas?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@Chris B the current build is crashing like too much (actually both AfPhoto and AfDesigner)

A solution should come to testers and community faster before many users complains about it your respective teamsget overwhelmed 

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

8 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

the current build is crashing like too much (actually both AfPhoto and AfDesigner)

More information would probably be helpful. Details of what you're doing, crash reports, etc. And probably that should happen in a new topic that you create here in the beta forum.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I can zoom with Ctrl and mouse wheel. You can then pan when zoomed in.

TIFF fails to generate preview and GIF takes way too long to generate a preview.

Indeed, it works with Ctrl. But the interface is not very informative. The percentage increase is not visible. Very small viewport. It's good that such a function has appeared. But for a user accustomed to PS when switching to AP, such a decision will be daunting.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

More information would probably be helpful. Details of what you're doing, crash reports, etc. And probably that should happen in a new topic that you create here in the beta forum.

Well, as I saif in prior post, I opened a template created with previous build and tried to create something from that base work.
changing title moving filters to get more punch etc. nothing too much but the app crashed like
- 5 times straight on selecting groups of objects and trying to unfold it, 
- 6th time it crashed I was trying to apply Gaussian Blur Live Filter ( obliged to proceed with the one from the Fx studio),
- 7th time I was trying to edit text after I scaled it twice it's size.
The only solution I got for now was to do all those small edits with AfPublisher then Edit with AfPhoto again to push 1 slider and export the whole thing.

Well the previous build was laggy but never crashed even once  it could freeze : Yes ! but not crashing.
Kind of embarrassing behavior. 

My current config
Dell Precision T3500
* Intel Xeon W3530 @2800GHz
* 12GiB of Ram @1333MHz
* 500GiB HDD @5200RPM
* Radeon 5450 with 1GiB Vram
* Windows 10 20H2 with necessary updates

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

The preview user interface is hardly suited for a prototype - how can it be added to a beta in this stage of development. It generates confusion and speculations. Don't release POCs.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Why is the new Astrophotography Persona accessed via File > New Astrophotography Stack... rather than via a Persona button like the other Personas?

Where do they state it is a new Persona?

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

On this particular machine Designer doesn't even start. Did on slightly newer laptop.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Jowday said:

On this particular machine Designer doesn't even start. Did on slightly newer laptop.

what about Photo?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon