You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feauture Request for Assets

Deepl Translated, German below

Hello,
I have a few suggestions for the assets handling. 

1. sometimes you want to edit/delete multiple assets. There it would be handy to have a multiple selection in the assets. That would save me a lot of time.

2. the assets preview is very small. Also, assets that are horizontal are cut off on the right. Some of my assets are very detailed, which is not visible in the preview. It would be extremely practical if the preview images were larger and / or it would show a larger (with real proportions) a nice big preview on mouseover.

3. i work with a lot of assets (500+), does that affect the performance? If so, it would be cool if you could somehow swap out the assets (e.g. local folder on hard drive, which you can then yes sync with Onedrive, Dropbox,.... so that you have the same assets everywhere), i.e. include a folder for the assets, where preview images are then displayed. 

4. a warning, if you add several ungrouped objects (because you then have umpteen unneeded assets, because you wanted to have the object as a whole).

5. when creating a subcategory, a prompt to enter the name. 

6. the possibility to sort the categories alphabetically. 

Original German Text:

Hallo,
ich habe ein paar Vorschläge für das Assets handling. 

1. Manchmal möchte man mehrere Assets bearbeiten/löschen. Da wäre es praktisch, eine Mehrfachauswahl in den Assets zu haben. Das würde mir eine Menge Zeit sparen.

2. Die Assets vorschau ist sehr klein. Außerdem werden assets die horizontal sind, rechts abgeschnitten. Manche Assets bei mir sind Detailreich, das erkennt man in der Vorschau nicht gut. Da wäre es extrem praktisch, wenn die Vorschaubilder größer wären und / oder es bei Mouseover eine größere (mit echten proportionen) eine schön große Vorschau anzeigen würde.

3. Ich arbeite mit sehr vielen Assets (500+), macht sich das auf die Performance bemerkbar? Wenn ja, wäre es cool, wenn man die Assets irgendwie auslagern könnte (z.B. lokaler Ordner auf Festplatte, den man dann ja mit Onedrive, Dropbox,... synchronisieren kann und somit überall die gleichen Assets hat). also einen Ordner für die Assets einbinden, wo dann Vorschaubilder angezeigt werden. 

4. Eine Warnung, wenn man mehrere ungruppierte Objekte hinzufügt (weil man dann unter Umstänten zig unbenötigte Assets hat, weil man ja das Objekt als ganzes haben wollte).

5. Bem Anlegen einer Unterkategorie eine Abfrage um den Namen einzugeben. 

6. Die Möglichkeit die Kategorien Alphabetisch zu sortieren. 

Greetings

I really like your suggestion about sync some external folder or dropbox to read these assets as I'm game artist, I always work with thousand of layers/items/ui
but wondering in which kind of format it would read.
examples,
like png, afdesign file / assets file (since it's a set of objects).

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva

• 2 weeks later...

I can only agree with the suggestions and would like to add something as I would find it extremely handy.

There is a search function under the assets which is very good but naming the assets takes a long time and is not an option with 50,000+. 

When I view the assets as a list it would be cool to be able to double click and edit the title of the asset directly.

Ich kann den Vorschlägen nur zustimmen und würde gerne etwas hinzufügen, da ich es als äußerst praktisch empfinden würde.

Es gibt unter den Assets eine Suchfunktion die sehr gut ist allerdings dauert das Benennen der Assets sehr lange und ist bei 50.000+ keine Option. 

Wenn ich mir die Assets als Liste anzeigen lasse, wäre es cool mit einem Doppelklick direkt den Titel des Assets bearbeiten zu können.

1 hour ago, frizzle_Bacon said:

When I view the assets as a list it would be cool to be able to double click and edit the title of the asset directly.

Double-click is already used, to enable use of the Place Tool for adding the Asset to the image without having to drag it from the Assets panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 5:04 AM, Hewal said:

1. sometimes you want to edit/delete multiple assets. There it would be handy to have a multiple selection in the assets. That would save me a lot of time.

4. a warning, if you add several ungrouped objects (because you then have umpteen unneeded assets, because you wanted to have the object as a whole).

I'd like to add a vote for these two suggestions. I'm taking a break from deleting the hundreds (sob!) of individual objects I inadvertently added to my asset list. If I'm missing a way to do this in bulk without also deleting the assets already in the list, I'd love to know about it!

(The break to register for the forums and write this was good in one way; taking a step back let me reassess my options. It turned out to be easier to drop the assets I wanted to keep into a document, re-add them to the Asset list, then delete the contaminated asset folder. It worked, but it's hardly an ideal solution.)

Edited by MissC
addition

2 hours ago, MissC said:

It turned out to be easier to drop the assets I wanted to keep into a document, re-add them to the Asset list, then delete the contaminated asset folder. It worked, but it's hardly an ideal solution.)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, MissC, and thanks for mentioning that workaround.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, MissC said:

It turned out to be easier to drop the assets I wanted to keep into a document, re-add them to the Asset list, then delete the contaminated asset folder.

A quick follow-up to say that I was able to use Layer > Create Compound and then Layer > Convert to Curves to simplify complex images, then add the resulting vectors to the Asset list. For some layered items, however, compound images merge background and foreground fills into one color, so a banner with black outlines and white fill turns all black, for example. I'm getting around that by first going into the layer list and finding the background layer, turning it off, then using Layer > Create Compound and Layer > Convert to Curves on everything but the background, then repeating the process for the background layer only. This results in two vector assets which can be aligned and colored separately.

It's possible I'm the only one who didn't know this trick, but as my searches didn't find it I'm posting in case it helps someone else!

Banners.png