You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import Text on a Path

Hello:

If Affinity Designer does the following now, please let me know how. Was surprised and disappointed that I couldn't get it to work. 🙂

I would love to see the ability to import editable text on a path from a pdf or AI file. When I've tried it, I was only able to edit individual letters, not full lines.

Thanks,

Peter

Live Text On A Path cannot actually be saved in a PDF.

When you save a file as a PDF from Illustrator, you have the option to Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities. If you have that option turned on, Illustrator stores a full native copy of the content, stashed away in a 'cordoned off' area of the PDF file. That's why 'PDFs' saved that way from Illustrator are so much larger than if they are saved without that option on. If you then re-open that 'PDF' in Illustrator, Illustrator doesn't open the PDF content; it opens the stashed-away native copy. That's why the Text On Path object is still editable.

When you save a file as a PDF from Illustrator with that option turned off, and then 're-open' that PDF in Illustrator, you will find that there is no live editable Text On Path.

Affinity Designer does not 'open' native Illustrator files, just as Illustrator does not 'open' native Affinity Designer files. Both can export and open PDFs.

Illustrator does the inverse with its 'native' .AI format: When you save a .AI file from Illustrator, you have the option to Make PDF Compatible. If you have that option turned on, Illustrator stores a PDF copy of the content, stashed away in a 'cordoned off' area of the .AI file. If you then open that '.AI' file with Affinity, Affinity doesn't open the native AI content; it opens the stashed-away PDF copy. That's why the Text On Path object is not editable.

JET