• Staff

Purpose: Updates and Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Yes

---

Happy New Year!

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.887 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

Fixes And Improvements

General
Data Merge Manager layout improvements
Pages panel loses the scroll position when switching between document tabs
Glyph Browser was missing glyphs under certain circumstances when sorting via Unicode
Assets delete category was enabled when no categories present
It is now possible to importing a duplicate Styles category 
Styles Panel - Restored ability to apply Styles with a single click

Document
Fixed issue where re-applying master pages with text frames with pinned objects could cause document instability.
When modifying Adjustment Layers any bleed and pasteboard areas affected were not updating correctly

Import / Export
Excel Import - Fix for issues arising when importing files containing merged cells
Excel Import - Currency Format improvements
PDF Export - Filter Effects could be wrongly rasterised and cause export failures
Document Merge - Added option to ignore unused incoming text styles

Text
Prevent application of Hyperlink Anchors to Layers / Master Page instances
Prevent creation of blank Hyperlink Anchors that could case errors on PDF Export
Multi-curve text wrap could be combined incorrectly resulting in unexpected wrapping around complex shapes

Resources
Artboard and other settings could be lost when reconnecting missing Affinity resources
Place linked files could be opened as <Embedded> under certain circumstances
'Size frame to content' for images imported from IDML could behave incorrectly
Picture frame within a Picture Frame could cause crash
Fixed 'Show in Explorer' for modified linked resources

Affinity Web Services
Miscellaneous improvements including resumable downloads

---

Release Notes for 1.9.0.874

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

The download is still extremely slow. Can you please fix this?

image.png.ef153b6e5315e269ea7be7ce006efa6e.png

I already mentioned this problem in December, and - yes, I know - the server is in the Amazon cloud, but somehow this should be fixed. If you need more info (traceroute or nslookup - whatever you need), please let me know.

1 hour ago, Andreas S said:

If you need more info (traceroute or nslookup - whatever you need), please let me know.

Where does the traceroute show the slowdown occurring?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The traceroute doesn't show the slowdown. with the 14th hop the Amazon-Network is reached and to reach the download server needs 30 more hops. Looks to me like the Amazon network configuration is "strange". But this can only be solved if Serif as the customer opens a ticket at Amazon, complaining about slow download speed from some sites. I can support them anytime with my traceroute results, but we don't have more things in hand to help.

From the last time I complained (in December) I know, that I am not the only one with this problem.

47 minutes ago, Andreas S said:

The traceroute doesn't show the slowdown. with the 14th hop the Amazon-Network is reached

And none of the trace up to that point showed any dropped packets, or any slow responses?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Since I started this Thread the download made some progress:

image.png.09cca77353e971b298ed238eb791671e.png

@Wosven: no, I bought from my provider 50MBit/s and get this with almost all downloads (if the server delivers).

@walt.farrell: The hops in between show often timeouts and have no name resolution. From my understanding this is normal if firewalls block the traceroute packages.

The final node has a response time of approx. 100ms

7 minutes ago, Andreas S said:

The hops in between show often timeouts and have no name resolution. From my understanding this is normal if firewalls block the traceroute packages.

It may be normal, if a particular node never responds. But if the same IP address sometimes responds and sometimes doesn't it may also indicate an issue between you and the first Amazon node in the trace, and Serif can't do much about that.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi All,

I'm using the beta and having success with it, especially important to me are the anchors that create PDF bookmarks. So, if I use the beta to create a real project, will that project (.afpub file) be usable in the future when the retail version is released? That is, the retail version would import and open it correctly, and I could continue on working with it? I imagine so but want to verify before going too far.

Thanks and Regards,

Kevin

32 minutes ago, Kevin B said:

I'm using the beta and having success with it, especially important to me are the anchors that create PDF bookmarks. So, if I use the beta to create a real project, will that project (.afpub file) be usable in the future when the retail version is released? That is, the retail version would import and open it correctly, and I could continue on working with it? I imagine so but want to verify before going too far.

It is almost certainly Serif's goal that the 1.9 retail release will be able to open the 1.9 beta documents. 

And it is almost certainly true that this will actually happen.

But there is no guarantee:

On 1/7/2021 at 10:11 AM, AdamW said:

we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt,

Thanks for your reply and good information, much appreciated. I should apologize for not reading the post from AdamW well, and yes I should keep that in mind. My initial work will just arrange the chapter headings and TOC, with anchors for bookmarks, but the real content will go in later when the retail version is available. If the transition doesn't go well then not a crisis, I can recreate it in the retail version and then we'll start to add content.

So now I'm wondering when the retail version will be out, this we don't know but I won't let it slow me down. I already enjoy using Publisher, I'm crawling through it slowly with the help file open, just scratching the surface so far -- it's like a combined WYSIWYG and word processor, performs both processes beautifully.

Please let me know if you hear a rumor about the release date of the retail version, and thanks again for your assistance.

Best Regards, Kevin

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.