• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Yes

---

Happy New Year!

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.887 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

Improvements and Fixes

General
Data Merge Manager layout improvements
Pages panel loses the scroll position when switching between document tabs
Glyph Browser was missing glyphs under certain circumstances when sorting via Unicode
Assets delete category was enabled when no categories present
It is now possible to importing a duplicate Styles category 

Document
Fixed issue where re-applying master pages with text frames with pinned objects could cause document instability.
When modifying Adjustment Layers any bleed and pasteboard areas affected were not updating correctly

Import / Export
Excel Import - Fix for issues arising when importing files containing merged cells
Excel Import - Currency Format improvements
PDF Export - Filter Effects could be wrongly rasterised and cause export failures
Document Merge - Added option to ignore unused incoming text styles
Print Dialog with Book or Booklet Document Layout showing could lead to instability

Text
Prevent application of Hyperlink Anchors to Layers / Master Page instances
Prevent creation of blank Hyperlink Anchors that could case errors on PDF Export
Multi-curve text wrap could be combined incorrectly resulting in unexpected wrapping around complex shapes

Resources
Artboard and other settings could be lost when reconnecting missing Affinity resources
Place linked files could be opened as <Embedded> under certain circumstances
'Size frame to content' for images imported from IDML could behave incorrectly
Picture frame within a Picture Frame could cause crash

Affinity Web Services
Miscellaneous improvements including resumable downloads
---

Release Notes for 1.9.0.874

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

4 hours ago, AdamW said:

Excel Import - Fix for issues arising when importing files containing merged cells
Excel Import - Currency Format improvements

Thanks for this, another little improvement would be to match any roundings, I have just tested an excel sheet that had an average formula, the sheet displays whole numbers but when imported it is displaying 6 decimal places.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Please bear with me if this is a stupid question.... I'm very new to Affinity....

I have started a free trial of Publisher, and am definitely looking to make the move from InDesign.  One of the features which is critical to me (for my "real work") is Data Merge.  If I understand, it does exist, but only in Beta.  To access a Beta version I need to be a paid up user of the software (that's fine).  It says earlier in this thread "we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work".  I'm unclear how long it takes before features in the beta become part of the main product, so that it is safe for real work.

Welcome to the Forums @Janet Smith😊  The Betas for Photo, Designer, and Publisher are all in the Release Candidate phase at this point, and it will probably be relatively soon when they will be available as upgrades to version 1.8.+.   (They do need to be issued together, in order for the wonderful feature of StudioLink to function properly.)  Until that point, anything that you create using the Beta for Publisher could conceivably have problems that could potentially reflect upon your work.  If you need to do anything in Publisher right now that has real-world consequences, it would be a good idea to use your trial version of Publisher.   You can always save a file, and open it in the Beta and see how you fare!  If it is issue-free then you are ahead.  If it has glitches, you will not have done all that work in vain.   It can be the case that something created using a Beta is not backwards compatible to a release version.  So you will want to think of that too.  Hopefully, long before your free trial of Publisher has expired, Publisher v. 1.9.+ will be available for us all!   Hope this helps!    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

12 minutes ago, Janet Smith said:

Is it true that I need to buy the software before I can access the Beta, or can I somehow have a play with Data Merge in my trial version?

It’s a customer beta, so it is indeed true that you need to buy the retail version before you can access it. If you purchase from the Affinity Store you’re covered by a 14-day ‘no quibble’ money back guarantee, so that would be a way of having a trial play with Data Merge.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Janet Smith said:

Thank you so much!  It all makes sense (and I've still got InDesign for now too).  Is it true that I need to buy the software before I can access the Beta, or can I somehow have a play with Data Merge in my trial version?

The 1.9 beta should be released quite soon, probably weeks not months.

I have found that the Data Merge works quite well, just make sure you have the fields you really need in the CSV file and all should be good. There are some problems with XLSX (?) files having cells with complex formulas causing problems so I have gotten in the habit of exporting CSV files. As far as I can tell images need to be in the same folder as the CSV file for them to be imported, I could be wrong.

Final Caveat: Affinity files do not play well with cloud services and some networked drive systems.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

55 minutes ago, Janet Smith said:

Is it true that I need to buy the software before I can access the Beta, or can I somehow have a play with Data Merge in my trial version?

Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken, but it was my understanding that you would be able to have a new trial period with release 1.9 when it finally comes out.

Edit: my fellow members have helpfully pointed out that I was mistaken. Sorry.

30 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken, but it was my understanding that you would be able to have a new trial period with release 1.9 when it finally comes out.

That’s what I used to think, Garrett, but it seems that it ain’t necessarily so!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

30 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

We do not know how quickly Serif will update the free trial to 1.9, though. It is likely to remain 1.8 for some period of time before they make that change.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.