You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ROTATING AXIS TO MATCH GRID

Hi Everyone

I am trying to draw a simplified plan over an exisitng CAD drawing [Signage exercise)

I have rotated the grid to match the architecture,  turned on snapping to the grid

But the new objects do not reflect the rotated grid , neither does the shap bounding box... see image

making it painful to create the simplified architecture

Is there any way to rotate the coordinate [axis] system to match the rotated grid?

thanks!

GRID AXIS.jpg

I am unaware of any way to do this but.... Would it not be easier to rotate the " exisitng CAD drawing [Signage exercise)" and then do your additions and re rotate the contents?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If it's in Designer try out the Isomorhic mode and there then "Top placement" and "Fit to plane" etc. You can also customize the isomorhic grid there, maybe you can get it to match what you need.

Tutorials:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, gary danang said:

I am using the two axis grid with custom settings

.sort of got it working with these settings

but I had to rotate the rectangle to the grid alignment - it did not default to that alignment when drawing it

Your grid is not isometric, but use the Isometric studio panel (View > Studio > Isometric). The panel is poorly named because it is not restricted to being useful for an isometric grid only. 
If you enable its "Edit in Plane" option, you'll be able to create rectangles that are aligned to your rotated grid. The other buttons listed under "Plane editing options" are not options; they perform actions.

7 minutes ago, anon2 said:

The panel is poorly named because it is not restricted to being useful for an isometric grid only.

An odd choice of name, given that the more general term ‘axonometric’ covers the isometric case.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

An odd choice of name, given that the more general term ‘axonometric’ covers the isometric case.

Its usefulness is not restricted to axonometric grids, so Axonometric would also be a misleading name. For example, it is useful for the simple rotated orthogonal grid being used by the OP.

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Maybe this spotlight article here ...

... helps the OP too a little bit with that stuff.

Yes, possibly, but it's important that the OP is not misled by the demonstration into thinking that objects must be created in the canvas plane and then be transformed to a grid plane. The OP needs to know that "Edit in plane" allows objects to be created in a grid plane, not just edited in a grid plane.