You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity won't open Raw files from Photos app.

hello, I'm having a problem trying to open RAW images from my Mac Photos app in Affinity Photo.. In my Photos app it shows as RAW files.. when i go to Affinity, Open file, it opens as JPEG? does anyone else have this issue? I can't seem figure out why? the only way Affinity opens RAW files is directly from SD card.. where do you guys store your RAW files to be opened in Affinity? 

hello, I'm having a problem trying to open RAW images from my Mac Photos app in Affinity Photo.. In my Photos app it shows as RAW files.. when i go to Affinity, Open file, it opens as JPEG? does anyone else have this issue? I can't seem figure out why? the only way Affinity opens RAW files is directly from SD card.. where do you guys store your RAW files to be opened in Affinity? 

Hi Mr.Furious, 

In my production environment at work, I do not use iPhoto (Snow Leopard) to manage my production files. 

On my own Mac, I follow a similar workflow as I do not use Photos to manage my media. 

In my production environment, all the media for a job is moved to a production folder on the HD. 

I follow a similar method at home, storing my working files on a combination of the main HD plus my external storage HD's. 

Affinity has a Media Manager which I use, as well as simply using the File>Open… command to locate the RAW file(s) I need for a project. 

Affinity's Media Manager can have extra folders added to it. 

All RAW files open as RAW this way for me. 

Hope this helps. 

Paul. 

hello, I'm having a problem trying to open RAW images from my Mac Photos app in Affinity Photo.. In my Photos app it shows as RAW files.. when i go to Affinity, Open file, it opens as JPEG

Hi, Mr.Furious.

I think Paul may have hit on the issue when he said:

All RAW files open as RAW this way for me.

I can't say I have used Apple Photo to store RAW files, so I am not familiar with how the app may treat them. Is your camera set to record jpegs with the RAW files? If so, that may be what Apple Photo is showing you. Why it would not send you the RAW component is a mystery to me. Do you have another service that you can place RAW images in and see if they do the same thing when called into AP?

MelG

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde

• Staff

Hi Mr.Furious,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the RAW file you want to export in Photos, then go to File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original For 1 Photo..., set the file name and export location. Then just drag that file to Affinity Photo.

Currently there's no way to get it back to Photos automatically. Apple hasn't implemented an "edit in external editor" feature yet.

Hi MelG, 

Photos can import RAW files & then export/share them: 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-09-13 at 16.33.03.png

The issue seems to be locating the RAW files that are stored in this manner? 

Paul. 

Yes, My images all save RAW in Photos. Photos shows them as RAW files .NEF. when i open from Affinity it opens as a JPEG even though the file reads RAW. i decided to try your method and save my RAW file in another Folder, it worked affinity was able to open as RAW.. thank you..

When you export from photos you have option to export the original raw or the edited,are you sure you choose raw file tonexport from photos app?

I did not export my files to another folder other then Photos. I was hoping it was a simple problem i needed to figure out but i see Photos has a problem when trying to open a RAW file from another photo app. 

Hi Mr.Furious,

Select the RAW file you want to export in Photos, then go to File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original For 1 Photo..., set the file name and export location. Then just drag that file to Affinity Photo.

Currently there's no way to get it back to Photos automatically. Apple hasn't implemented an "edit in external editor" feature yet.

Hello MEB, thank you..

Awesome this method also work. I see the problem is Photos. Thanks for help guys.. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/13/2015 at 1:40 PM, MEB said:

Hi Mr.Furious,

Thank you sir. This one works but it is just the same as opening my backup disk and opening the RAW files.

I was just disappointed that we need this turnaround just to open a RAW file on Affinity Photo, because I plan to save my RAW files on Photos App.

• Staff

Hi Jerald James Capao,
That reply is way too old and is outdated now. Use the Edit in Affinity Photo extension (not the command from the Image menu or  the same command from the right-click/contextual menu - there's a know issue with those - they don't save changes back to Apple Photos) to send the RAW directly to Affinity Photo (Develop Persona).

1 hour ago, C J T said:

Well, hate to tell you all, but, Photos does NOT send a RAW anywhere at any time. The article in the link explains all! At least that is what I understand from this article.

The article also explains why "Edit With" is never a good choice, which I think makes the issue Affinity Photo has with that option pretty much a moot point. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I guess my iPhone XS, ProCamera App RAW feature is dead in its rich features.  If MEB fix, is inaccurate, will this be logged as bug?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi CTJ,
Have you tried the extension mentioned above? If not please try it. You will see that the RAW file in sent to Affinity Photo for editing.

Ah, but I understood the OP was not using the extension. It does make a difference, and yes, I have used it a few times. Still getting the hang of Affinity. But I assume that Photos is being very careful with the original RAW??

CJT