You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with layers when using Master Page

Dears,

I found the following IMHO bug in Affinity Publisher, when I am placing normal/regular layer between layers from master page but located in regular page.

This layer is later not editable and not deletable at all. Entering into this bug, one have to delete complete page and make it from scratch.

I am attaching you komplete minimal project representing this problem, as well as screenshots - AFF-PUB-1.8.5.703.bug.zip.

Please have a look at layer called Image2 and try to move it, change it or delete it.

Detailed steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Create master page with two layers:

a) lower layer with image 1,

b) text box in upper layer

2. Use this master page  on any page - screenshot Step-1

3. Optionally fil the text in text bon on the regular page

4. Drag next image to the page, so the image covers the text - screenshot Step-2

5. Move the second image 2 layer to be located between the image 1 and text box layer to move the image 2 behind the text - screenshot: Step-3

I such a case I am expecting I can do everything with the layer image 2.

But I cannot do anything even delete this layer.

Please have a look on this matter.

Thanks in advance and regards,

Seweryn.

P.S. Generally your product is fantastic.

AFF-PUB-1.8.5.703.bug.zip

You have put your Image 2 layer inside the Master Page layer (Master A) on your document page.

That makes it part of the Master Page content, even though it did not actually come from the Master Page. To edit it, you will need to right-click the (Master A) layer in the Layers panel and choose Edit Detached.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

Thanks for very quick response.

Your proposal is good, but this not what I am aming for.

Consider, that Image 2 shall be like water mark only on the concrete page and not on all pages.

When I will put it on master page I will have it on all pages, which is using given master.

And anyhow, if I drop by accident something in there (between layers), it is not recoverable error and I have to delete complete page.

Best regards,

Seweryn.

19 minutes ago, Seweryn said:

And anyhow, if I drop by accident something in there (between layers), it is not recoverable error and I have to delete complete page.

No, you simply Edit Detached, and then in the Layers panel drag it outside the Master Page layer.

19 minutes ago, Seweryn said:

Your proposal is good, but this not what I am aming for.

It may not be what you're aiming for, but it's how things work. If you want to put something inside the Master Page layer on a document page, then to edit it later you will have to use Edit Detached. That is how Publisher works.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi!

I apologize. I think now I really understand what you mean. I had experiment for a while with what you proposed and I think I understand the concept.

Thanks a lot for help and I will use your trick to make some of my watermarks.

Best regards,

Seweryn.

You're welcome. I think it should work for you.

-- Walt
PC: