You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9.0.13 New Raster Preview

This is a very welcome addition and I appreciate it is a work in progress but I'm slightly baffled by the current implementation. The preview provided by clicking the Preview button for any raster format displays a non-zoomable (unless I've somehow missed that) preview at a size smaller than any current document when viewed as Zoom to Fit which basically makes the preview totally useless as you really can not make any sort of realistic assessment as to how the file actually looks at different resample/compression settings.

For this feature to be of any use, it needs to be much closer to the Save for Web feature in PS (but hopefully better) and it needs the ability to display the same image multiple times (user defined) and most importantly the ability to zoom in on the file so you can make a realistic side by side comparison of how the file will look at different compression settings.

I'm also slightly unsure why the Preview window dispalys a different percentage setting for different file formats, i.e. for an A4 file, 22% for PNG, JPEG and GIF files but 37% for TIFF and PSD Files? What does this percentage actually relate to and why is it different for different file formats? For an A3 file these percentages change to 91% and 96% respectively?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

You should be able to zoom with one of the following method:

• ALT + Mouse wheel for any standard mouse with a mouse wheel control. Mouse wheel will also scroll (vertically, or SHIFT for horizontal scroll).
  • Track pad pinch gestures.
  • Touch Bar controls.

Magic Mouse zoom is currently broken.

That would explain things then as I'm using a Magic Mouse and use ALT Scroll to zoom into documents but there was no mention of the Magic Mouse not working in the release notes so hadn't picked up on this.

It would still be way more useful being able to make side by side comparisons so you can see the same file using different compression settings and/or resample options in a single window because currently changing the compression setting or resample mode results in the preview window going blank whilst it redraws the preview which means you can't realistically make proper comparisons which is really what you need ot be able to do.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.