You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to figure out what this does. It's an option and there is an icon for it in the context toolbar (attached) when the Pen Tool is active but I can't seem to figure it out. The Help description describes what it does but isn't working for me.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 1.36.12 AM.png

Pretty much what the Pen Tool help already told!

• Without that option enabled

bild1.jpg.051c9f5ee4521a3535349f883deaa65b.jpg

• With that option enabled (the previously made curve remains to be selected, so anchor points [nodes] are visable for interconnection)

bild2.jpg.19d6a398c936c679d33421f4a1bb937c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry, I can’t speak for retrograde, but I still don’t understand what it does.
Can you explain what you mean by “previously made curve”?

• Previously made how? Under which circumstances?
  • Previously made when? Any curve that previously exists, or the last curve created, or something else?
  • What sort of curve? A (Curve) layer, or a (Curves) layer, or both?

I just can’t get it to do anything differently when I have it switched on against when it isn’t switched on.

Would you be able to give us a video showing it in action?

• Staff

Hi retrograde, GarryP,
This simply keeps the previous shape(s) you have drawn selected, when you create a new one. So, if you enable it, draw a first shape, then draw a second one, the first will remain selected. This however is broken in the current builds (it starts creating lines/segments). I'm logging the issue to be looked at. Here's a clip showing how it should work:

Just as MEB showed in his screenrecording, which usually should also have been reproducible/recognizable from the above shown screenshots.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks all, I thought based on the help description that that's what It was but it then it started doing these broken line segments and I was like - what now??

Cheers for the speedy responses! ;-)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...