You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Workbook Resources

I'm trying to do the tutorial for Section 3 “Fashionista Lookbooks” (p. 266) from the new Publisher Workbook. I’ve downloaded the resources for “Section 3 Fashionista Lookbooks” from the listed link “https://affin.co/Fashionista”. The unzipped folder contains the following files (screenshot below). 
 On p. 274 of the Workbook it asks me to add images to the picture frames by using File>Place. The resource listed at the top of p. 272 is given as “Jonvan - Lookbook.aftemplate” and I think it is the page layout with empty picture frames (the second one above in the screenshot). I can’t find resources for the images shown in the book. This has happened to me in earlier projects (unable to find the images shown in the book.) So I’m obviously missing something. I would expect to find an images file. I’ve tried all five files in the screen shot and they’re all layouts with empty frames. Sorry to seem so dim but something about downloading the resources from Affinity is escaping me. HELP!

Screenshot.jpg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Frank. :)

18 minutes ago, FrankAPerry said:

I can’t find resources for the images shown in the book.

I think the idea is that you should fill the picture frames with your own images. If you don’t have any suitable image files to hand, you can download them for free from sites such as Unsplash.com.

By the way, it’s a good idea to set Windows File Explorer not to hide filename extensions for known file types. As it stands, it isn’t immediately obvious from your screenshot that the ‘Smart pages’ file is a Publisher document (*.afpub) but Aurelie, Jonvan, and Komodo are template (*.aftemplate) files.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, FrankAPerry said:

. I can’t find resources for the images shown in the book.

From page 267:

The resources in this project are Affinity Publisher templates that you can populate with your own sourced imagery.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Frank. :)

I think the idea is that you should fill the picture frames with your own images. If you don’t have any suitable image files to hand, you can download them for free from sites such as Unsplash.com.

By the way, it’s a good idea to set Windows File Explorer not to hide filename extensions for known file types. As it stands, it isn’t immediately obvious from your screenshot that the ‘Smart pages’ file is a Publisher document (*.afpub) but Aurelie, Jonvan, and Komodo are template (*.aftemplate) files.

Thank you, Alfred, for the help. That  makes sense considering I keep running into the problem.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1