You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Coffee Cup Graphics

justwilliam

I am working on some preliminary designs for a coffee cup and a T-shirt or hoodie graphic for my beloved wife which relate to her beloved little summer car. (There is no actual 'club' or if there is then she is the only member!)

I will likely look online to see if I can find more appropriate fonts before I can start to complete these, but I have a question regarding how I can 'transform' the font. In the first of the attached files (the Black, Red, and Yellow one) I could not find a way to make the letters 'lean' in the way that I had wanted; I succeeded in getting the larger four-letter text in that graphic to lean but only by actually drawing them but I was hoping that one could simply add text with the Text Tool and then 'transform' it somehow. (I wanted the other two words to lean in much the same manner as the four-letter text.)

Is this not possible or was I merely not clever enough to find my way to the right tool?

BTW the Blue and White one is for a T-shirt or hoodie and the other is for a coffee cup for her -  she really loves her new Lada! :rolleyes:

I thought to put this in the Share Your Work topic but, as this question was the main reason for posting, I put it here; that being said, I am certainly always open for suggestions and criticism on the current state of my somewhat primitive efforts.

post-15796-0-94705500-1442074115_thumb.jpg

post-15796-0-26728500-1442074145_thumb.jpg

Well, justwilliam, I am sure you have seen the Shear input field on the Character Panel … but honestly, in most cases it is not recommended to slant fonts using the shear function. It regularly distorts the intended design. The “D” in my example has already passed away, and the other glyphs are obviously feeling sick as well. So it’s definitely a better idea to search for appropriately slanted fonts or even draw them yourself …  ;)

But your design is a pretty good start, my congratulations! And it’s a really nice idea to surprise your wife that way … 

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-22554300-1442082538_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no expert, but maybe you can try this:

Thank you for the suggestion, Madame; but this is the same function which I had previously tried and of which Alex pointed out the unacceptable side-effects  - only he showed it from the Character Panel whereas you show it from the Transform panel. But it was very kind of you to offer a helpful suggestion. :)

I have used Pixelmator previously for photos, and a long time ago they had a 'perspective' tool and that was what I had hoped to find in AD without success.

The 'Shear' function in AD works ok on the rectilinear portions of the text, or well enough at least, but it causes some unwanted anomalies on curves, arcs, or bends.

I think what Alex suggested that one should find "appropriately slanted fonts or even draw them yourself" would be the best solution for me. I have only once downloaded a font (and it was free) but one hears horror stories of corrupt fonts possibly causing system-wide issues and I am not competent enough to diagnose or fix such issues - i.e., I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to that sort of thing. :blink:  So, I have been reworking these designs by choosing from the fonts which I have, converting the text to curves, and then attempting to adjust them to my liking; but, so far, not as successfully as I would like. :mellow: 

I think...that there are no shorcuts, you need to adjust the converted fonts manually.  Is more precise since every font has its own character and thanks heavens, we are smarter than the software, so I feel more comfortable adjusting those small details laying down some guides in the desired angle and then shaping the paths until they all fit.

post-18956-0-67925800-1444163564_thumb.png