Hi There 

I am a complete Newbie to Affinity, I have it on trial as I am thinking of moving from Photoshop which I have used for a number of years, I am struggling with a couple of things with Affinity, I will probably get my head around most of them but Resizing the image has me completely baffled. I am using a desktop Mac and want to resize my original image to a much smaller image (something like 100mm on the long side) while maintaining the resolution and aspect ratio, I suspect that there is an easy way to do this and once someone out there tells me how, I will feel like a complete dipstick, but at the moment it has me baffled, please help!

Paul

Hello @Paul467 and welome to the forums.

To resize your image use Document > Resize Document. Enter your required dimension (such as 100mm) and leave the other boxes. (By default, the aspect ratio and resolution/dpi will be unchanged). Click on OK. You might like to experiment with the resampling algorithm. The best one will depend on your type of image.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,5 Designer 1.8.5 and Publisher 1.8.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi John

many thanks for your suggestion, however after trying it, which I had tried before the resolution of the reduced image is unusable, any ideas what I am doing wrong, the original image is 15.9mb so I do not understand why it will not reduce in size while maintaining quality, it works in photoshop ?

Paul 

Different people have different things in mind when using the word resolution. Some are thinking of the quantity of pixels in width and height, others are thinking of the pixel density - pixels per inch, pixels per centimetre or pixels per millimetre.

You want to resize to 100 mm on the long edge, but what pixel density do you need?

@Paul467, Have you tried the different resampling algorithms? Depending on whether you have a simple diagram (use nearest neighbour) or a complex photo (use Lanczos 3) the algorithm can make a big difference. See the Affinity video tutorial here.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,5 Designer 1.8.5 and Publisher 1.8.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630