You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi There 

I am a complete Newbie to Affinity, I have it on trial as I am thinking of moving from Photoshop which I have used for a number of years, I am struggling with a couple of things with Affinity, I will probably get my head around most of them but Resizing the image has me completely baffled. I am using a desktop Mac and want to resize my original image to a much smaller image (something like 100mm on the long side) while maintaining the resolution and aspect ratio, I suspect that there is an easy way to do this and once someone out there tells me how, I will feel like a complete dipstick, but at the moment it has me baffled, please help!

Paul

Hello @Paul467 and welome to the forums.

To resize your image use Document > Resize Document. Enter your required dimension (such as 100mm) and leave the other boxes. (By default, the aspect ratio and resolution/dpi will be unchanged). Click on OK. You might like to experiment with the resampling algorithm. The best one will depend on your type of image.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi John

many thanks for your suggestion, however after trying it, which I had tried before the resolution of the reduced image is unusable, any ideas what I am doing wrong, the original image is 15.9mb so I do not understand why it will not reduce in size while maintaining quality, it works in photoshop ?

Paul 

Different people have different things in mind when using the word resolution. Some are thinking of the quantity of pixels in width and height, others are thinking of the pixel density - pixels per inch, pixels per centimetre or pixels per millimetre.

You want to resize to 100 mm on the long edge, but what pixel density do you need?

@Paul467, Have you tried the different resampling algorithms? Depending on whether you have a simple diagram (use nearest neighbour) or a complex photo (use Lanczos 3) the algorithm can make a big difference. See the Affinity video tutorial here.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 months later...

I have searched the forum for this question, but have not been able to figure out from the answers. I want to prepare an existing photo with 300dpi for printing and reduce it to 20x15 cm (not in pixels but in cm) for example...how do I do that in Affinity Photo? I work mainly in Affinity Designer for iPad and don't know AP so well...thanks! I attach a photo from Gimp that shows what I mean...the resolution is adjustable after the "resize print" step

Edit: I forgot to say, I only want to resize a copy for print, the original photo should not be resized...in Gimp this is possible

Gimp_Druckgröße ändern.png

• 5 months later...
31 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Are you serious in suggesting people should upload their photos to a website just to do a simple resize job?

AFAIK "Depositphotos" sells images and has nothing to do with resizing them, and even less to do with any Affinity Products!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

There's so much wrong with this approach – I don't even know where to begin. First, if you have a professional-grade image editing application, why would you not want to keep working inside it as long as possible? And why of all things would you want to outsource one of its most basic features? Second, why should the best way of resizing an image involve getting it out of Affinity Photo, uploading it to a website, having the server do some obscure processing, downloading the result and finally getting it back into Photo? Also, without knowing exactly what happens to the images once they get uploaded, isn't this both a security and privacy nightmare, at least theoretically?

If you follow the link to Depositphotos, it immediately becomes clear that the purpose of their (additional) service isn't even resizing per se. It's upscaling photos that would otherwise be too small for whatever purpose, and it apparently uses some AI voodoo so the result looks arguably better than with conventional resizing algorithms. Now, I don't even dispute the quality of the website's results – the enlarged photos may look fairly decent (I don't know because I didn't try). But this is a very specific use case rather than a resonable universal way for resizing images.

For starters, try Document > Resize Document in Affinity Photo.

7 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

There's so much wrong with this approach – I don't even know where to begin. First, if you have a professional-grade image editing application, why would you not want to keep working inside it as long as possible? And why of all things would you want to outsource one of its most basic features? Second, why should the best way of resizing an image involve getting it out of Affinity Photo, uploading it to a website, having the server do some obscure processing, downloading the result and finally getting it back into Photo? Also, without knowing exactly what happens to the images once they get uploaded, isn't this both a security and privacy nightmare, at least theoretically?

If you follow the link to Depositphotos, it immediately becomes clear that the purpose of their (additional) service isn't even resizing per se. It's upscaling photos that would otherwise be too small for whatever purpose, and it apparently uses some AI voodoo so the result looks arguably better than with conventional resizing algorithms. Now, I don't even dispute the quality of the website's results – the enlarged photos may look fairly decent (I don't know because I didn't try). But this is a very specific use case rather than a resonable universal way for resizing images.

For starters, try Document > Resize Document in Affinity Photo.

ich antworte Dir auf Deutsch, weil es für mich einfacher ist, zu erklären, was ich tun will:  das Resizen ist nicht ganz, was ich damals gesucht habe - ich brauche wie in Gimp zB eine nach Zentimeter-Angaben zugeschnittene Kopie (meist eine kleinere Version mit derselben Acpect Ratio), die ich printen lassen kann...das Original sollte nicht verändert werden und in meinem AP kann ich nur nach Pixeln zuschneiden...die Umwandlung in cm klappt nie....

1 hour ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

429676663_ScreenShot2021-08-30at16_13_15.png.6d4f6584b1d94fa088ea90fc89980bc3.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 16.17.52.png

Hello, thank you! I just realized that I posted my question in March in the wrong forum, I use AP for iPad...there the menu looks different and I can only resize the whole document. Also, it always jumps back from cm to pixels....but anyhow I found a workaround in March - I do it on desktop using Gimp (which is annoying but at least it works;-).

• Staff

Madeleine Glover's spam post is not worth responding to as it was made in bad faith. That account is now banned

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon