You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loss of Keyboard Shortcuts

I have seen other posts that reported problems similar to this, but cannot find one identical. 

Publisher Version: 1.8.5.703
Windows 10 Home (build 19041.685)

Short Version of Problem: As soon as I Print a document as a PDF (not Export, but using File / Print), I lose all keyboard shortcuts (e.g., CTRL-P, CTRL-S, CTRL-Shift-W) and F-key assignments. I must reboot Publisher to get them back.

Longer Version of Problem: I have used the Affinity programs for several versions without experiencing this problem. It seemed to show up when I got a new computer with the latest version of Windows 10. I can work in Publisher without problem, but as soon as I Print to a PDF (I use the CutePDF driver), I lose use of the keyboard for any commands. For most of my publications I get better results with Print, rather than Export to PDF. The problem does not occur with Export, nor does it occur Printing to a physical printer.

Any suggestions?

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

Does it happen if you use a different PDF driver, rather than CutePDF?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just tested it by right-clicking in the Windows File manager, selecting Print and it opened Acrobat, prompted for a file name, then printed the new file. Returning to Publisher, I still had my keyboard commands. So this is a possible workaround--but it still raises the point: This never happened (using CutePDF) before the latest Windows 10.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

Sorry, I meant if you print from Publisher but using a different PDF printer driver. E.g., if you use File > Print and select Microsoft Print to PDF, rather than selecting CutePDF.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Of course. That was silly of me. 

The reason I didn't do that was that it didn't show up on the list in Publisher. After enabling, I tested it twice, and each time it did NOT kill the keyboard shortcuts. So the villain in this story seems to be CutePDF. I'll check for an updated driver for that--or a replacement (in the past I've had problems with Microsoft Print to PDF).

Thank you very much for your help, Walt.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

You're welcome. Lucky guess :)

-- Walt
PC: