You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.9.0.209)

On 1/7/2021 at 6:47 AM, Andrew Tang said:

The issue with having it built into the dialog forces it to be a fixed size, resizing will then affect the entire export dialog. As a separate window, you have complete control where it should be and what size it can be, or not shown at all. There's an argument to be said to have the preview window shown by default though.

Hi Andrew,

What I am suggesting is that the default behavior is image is displaced in the export window but have the ability to display in a separate window.  Whether this is the default behavior or not, to me this is not an issue.  Perhaps, it can be a configurable option to have it either default to displaying in the export window or in a separate window.

Take for example, someone working on a 13 inch display or even an iPad with limit screen real estate.  The ability to display this export previous in the same window will be great.  That doesn’t negate the requirement to display in a separate window with Zoom and panning features.

I hope that helps.

Nana

• Staff

18 hours ago, Nana said:

What I am suggesting is that the default behavior is image is displaced in the export window but have the ability to display in a separate window.

This seems to be what a lot of people are saying. I really like the idea of having the option to use a 2nd display for the export preview.

On my dual-monitor Mac, all dialogs still open behind the tool panels on my secondary monitor. Tedious to have to move every dialog, every opened file, onto the other monitor.

If this is not where bug/non-implemented features go, please point me in the right direction.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, spinhead said:

On my dual-monitor Mac, all dialogs still open behind the tool panels on my secondary monitor. Tedious to have to move every dialog, every opened file, onto the other monitor.

If this is not where bug/non-implemented features go, please point me in the right direction.

Same problem, I have always used second monitor for palettes with all graphics applications but going crazy trying to find a solution in AP

On 1/11/2021 at 10:29 AM, spinhead said:

Tedious as in, at least once a day, but usually a few times:

1. Open 20 documents.
  2. Click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard).

Also at least once a day:

1. Do something
  2. Wait for the dialog box.
  3. Wait more.
  4. Get tired of waiting and wonder what on earth is—
  5. Oh, there it is. On the other screen. Blending in with the tool palettes.
  6. Finish process.

I know that dual-monitor Mac users are a small subsection of overall users. I've had my mild rant so I'll be off to get something done now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 2:43 PM, spinhead said:

Tedious as in, at least once a day, but usually a few times:

1. Open 20 documents.
  2. Click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard), click (mouse), move-window-shortcut (keyboard).

Also at least once a day:

1. Do something
  2. Wait for the dialog box.
  3. Wait more.
  4. Get tired of waiting and wonder what on earth is—
  5. Oh, there it is. On the other screen. Blending in with the tool palettes.
  6. Finish process.

I know that dual-monitor Mac users are a small subsection of overall users. I've had my mild rant so I'll be off to get something done now.

Totally fed up with this situation I began to wonder if there were ways around this problem, and the good news is I found a way. Apple are great at making things complicated with reinventing their OS regularly and as a single user I had not considered the fact that it is now possible to set up more than one desktop. With 'Mission Control' it is simply a matter of creating a second desktop and then the process is to start the app (in this case Affinity Photo) then option click the AP icon in the dock and selecting which of the desktops desktop you want as the main window. Next image you open will be on the screen of choice.

Hope this helps.

Tried that early on. (I have multiple virtual desktops on each monitor.) It moves the entire app to my primary monitor, meaning all the dialog boxes are now on the wrong monitor. And new documents open behind them. Same problem, just on a different monitor.

If I choose a desktop, this is what happens. If I set it to 'None', this is what happens. Seems like the solution isn't MacOS based, but I'm open to suggestions.

Sorry if it does not help. I have to admit that this problem has only been with affinity apps I cannot repeat it in adobe apps or any other image programs. All I can say is selecting   > option > Assign To  - All Desktops, panels and all toolbars disappear and image opens on 2nd monitor. - None, image opens behind panels on second monitor as before. This Desktop, open dialogue and images open on main screen.

Unfortunately I don't have any further suggestions at the moment.187755790_ScreenShot2021-04-21at09_26_47.png.2eb435878618cbba8705eec1a40eff9f.png

On 4/21/2021 at 2:12 AM, lmegson said:

selecting   > option > Assign To  - All Desktops, panels and all toolbars disappear and image opens on 2nd monitor.

I don't understand this. What's the value of the panels and toolbars disappearing? The tab key will do that, but they're still on the same monitor/desktop as the new document.

Not at all trying to be difficult here. If there's a solution, I'd love to understand it.

Firstly I apologise if I misled you. I have played around again with 'Mission Control" and the result are different to my earlier attempts and whatever I select in the 'options' pop out the results are the same. I have to agree with you it does not seem to be an OS problem. The thing is it is now working correctly for me and open dialog and images all open on my main screen. Obviously that is what I want but I am unable to identify how??  I hate not being able to figure this out.

No problem. We're exploring. There will be some blind alleys.

What's your machine? What version of the OS? What monitors?

I'm on a Mac 2014 Mini, Big Sur 11.2.3. Main (left) monitor is Viewsonic VX3276-FHD, second (right) is a Viewsonic VX2858Sml, both at 1920x1080.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem: open dialog appearing underneath the palettes on the second monitor. I've got a 5k iMac with a second cheapy Dell monitor running at 1080x1920 (monitor oriented in portrait mode). OS 12.5.1. The problem doesn't happen all the time however. Once I move the open box from the second monitor to the primary, further Open commands make the dialog box open on the primary.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Once I move the open box from the second monitor to the primary, further Open commands make the dialog box open on the primary.

Permanently, or only for that session until you close and reopen the app? Mine will do that for the rest of a session (usually, not always) but each restart it begins again.

Well it seems to stay on the main monitor after I close and reopen it. But I'll have to see for how long since it inevitably opens under the palettes eventually. I was curious if it mattered where my mouse pointer was when I hit Command+O but it still opened on the main monitor if my pointer was on the second monitor.

I DID get it to appear under the palettes on the second monitor if I have an active cursor in a palette; I was typing in a dimension in the Transform palette and left the cursor there, then hit Command+O. I was able to repeat that behavior. Maybe that's the bug? 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.