You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with Publisher! CPU completely overloaded!

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Of course, several times. It does not help. I have also tried reinstalling Publisher. Nothing helps!

Maybe someone else has a solution, to me it sounds like an issue with Publisher itself. I know with some tests I have run in the past Publisher slows right down the bigger the file. I tried a 400+ page document, just text and it got steadily worth the more that was added. 120 pages of high res images may just be pushing it too hard. 

I tried searching to see if there was an option to view as a lower resolution, I do this in Indesign from time to time with complex vectors that can slow things down. I did not find an option in Publisher. 

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

What can I do to continue working normally?

It is a pity that one can not disable all images while working, this would be a huge benefit to working with large files.  I can do this but I have to select multiple images individually it works a treat, disabling 25 images I know is not the same as disabling 120 or more.  If you have 120 then this would be a huge problem to do individually.  Secondly I make a habit, unless it is absolutely necessary, to have images only in JPEG, this also help enormously to maintain a manageable working document.  Now in most cases JPEG quality is just as good as TIFF.  Lastly, and this probably does not make a huge difference anyway, but I have in the past disabled certain services and made sure no background apps are runnning and switch off the internet connection and even switch off that stupid virus checker that windows likes to run every day, at least for a while.  Only suggestions, no idea if anything here will help. 

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

2 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

It is a pity that one can not disable all images while working, this would be a huge benefit to working with large files.  I can do this but I have to select multiple images individually it works a treat, disabling 25 images I know is not the same as disabling 120 or more.  If you have 120 then this would be a huge problem to do individually.  Secondly I make a habit, unless it is absolutely necessary, to have images only in JPEG, this also help enormously to maintain a manageable working document.  Now in most cases JPEG quality is just as good as TIFF.  Lastly, and this probably does not make a huge difference anyway, but I have in the past disabled certain services and made sure no background apps are runnning and switch off the internet connection and even switch off that stupid virus checker that windows likes to run every day, at least for a while.  Only suggestions, no idea if anything here will help. 

Indesign has a nice feature you can work in 3 different viewing settings: High Quality Display, Typical Display, and Fast Display.

High quality obviously is the best, typical display brings it down to where Quark used to be and might still possibly be, pixelated images but you can make out what they are generally. Fast display turns off all images so you basically just have grey boxes in their place.

This feature is very handy to have as software and hardware is just not up to the level where everything can be run at full resolution smoothy. They can do great things but we have a little ways to go. Would be a nice feature to have in Publisher for sure. 

44 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Would be a nice feature to have in Publisher for sure. 

Another feature but this time for the forum would be an "I Agree" Icon, instead of having to use the 'Like" Icon.  😊

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

3 hours ago, wonderings said:

Indesign has a nice feature you can work in 3 different viewing settings: High Quality Display, Typical Display, and Fast Display.

Exactly. Perhaps I even also remember the feature from... Aldus PageMaker 4.0? A looong time ago.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Don't forget that in a large document, switching off snapping can speed things up a tad

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Well hiding images temporary, in order to save memory and CPU processing etc., are things even my beloved old NeXT FrameMaker version supported around 1995. - Nowadays, where it belongs to Adobe, it's also a common option there ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

21 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

switching off snapping can speed things up a tad

A tad? More than a tad. Perhaps you never experienced a "Snapping timed out"? :D

snapping-timed-out.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

19 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

A tad? More than a tad.

I should have said 'wake the dead'

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Been watching you since 1984 😈

Explains a lot. Must be a photo from this time. Actually I have more wrinkles and less hair. :(

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well hiding images temporary, in order to save memory and CPU processing etc., are things even my beloved old NeXT FrameMaker version supported around 1995. - Nowadays, where it belongs to Adobe, it's also a common option there ...

Well here we are in 2021 with flat-earthers and maxed out CPU’s in new developed software on new computers.

NeXT! FrameMaker! Good stuff.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
22 hours ago, Designer1 said:

My Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 3.07 GHz is completely overloaded. I have created a publication of 120 pages in Publisher. This publication contains 120 tiff images that are linked. What can I do to continue working normally?

Screenshot 2021-01-04 165840.png

Hi Designer1,

I can confirm that our developers have previously confirmed that we aim to use 100% of available resources, including the CPU so this is not unexpected.

Hopefully some of the above suggestions may help speed up your document in the meantime - as our developers are still working on improving the responsiveness of 'long/large' documents in Publisher for future updates :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

59 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi Designer1,

I can confirm that our developers have previously confirmed that we aim to use 100% of available resources, including the CPU so this is not unexpected.

Hopefully some of the above suggestions may help speed up your document in the meantime - as our developers are still working on improving the responsiveness of 'long/large' documents in Publisher for future updates :)

What has already helped me is to turn off the OCIO. Can work again in Publisher.

Screenshot 2021-01-05 165758.png

Back in the mid to late 90's we used to use an OPI (Open Prepress Interface) system with Quark 3.3 where we had a sun spark server with all the linked images scanned direct from a Crosfield Magnascan 656 Drum Scanner, Hi-rez images placed in the main folder would auto generate low-rez versions with exactly the same name and size but only 72dpi - on output you just needed to have OPI ticked and it would auto replace with the high-rez - surely theres a modern way of doing this that could take the strain off affinity, as I'm guessing that if publisher does all the lifting in creating low-rez copies, this could have the opposite effect with documents becoming super massive and still pretty sluggish even with linked images.  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 1/5/2021 at 3:57 PM, Dan C said:

I'm not sure it's a good idea... like the others said, it would be a return to the past to have apps that hung the whole computer and needing to be used as in old Apple II mode: 1 app at a time, stop everything else.

Or I misunderstood.

But today, we need different apps running, checking and answering emails... work is multitasks.