You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Who Fancies A Collaborative Project?

VectorVonDoom

My new year’s resolution was to get my finger out and finish the complicated/long winded ones I'd started which are each months of work not weeks. So I was thinking of something different to do when I needed a break from them. Little projects are an obvious option however one thing I've not seen people try on here is a collaborative effort.

I don't care too much what it is (although there are things I wouldn't want to attempt) but obviously needs to be able to be split down. I'm not sure many enjoy doing or perhaps even looking at photo realistic but there some of you out there. If you are interested reply and say what you'd like to do. Can only choose one so someone's not going to be happy! Presuming anyone is interested we can post progress in here too.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I have been working on and off on a rendering of the 20th Century Limited, one of the famous streamliners of the last century, I just love the industrial design from Henry Dreyfuss and his work on the magnificent Hudson steam locomotives.

I have started on the 20th Century, it´s still in a early state of development and I... (ahem!) ran out of steam finishing it off. I envision it under a full head of steam departing out of Chicago La Salle or New York Grand Central. Would this be something?

20th_Century_Limited_pulled_by_Commodore_Vanderbilt_1935.jpg

20th century.jpeg

Well that would be something. Nothing too complicated either just a train, a station, tons of track and steam and, oh yeah, a city skyline :23_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You can't just use any version of the train on a scene either, not only does it need to be taken from the same viewpoint but the lighting and focus also have to match. So really you'd want a photo of the scene with everything in place. That's if you are mad enough to try. 

So we need some rules lol. For a start there needs to be high res references (so 6mp, preferably larger), in colour unless the plan is b&w but don't think that would work well. However well it's done colourising always looks artificial and would be a huge pain. You need to think about whether it's possible in this lifetime and what parts would be a problem. Also how you can split it up (train, city... isn't really what I had in mind when I thought of splitting). Also remember depth of field complicates things, often a lot.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

35 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

However well it's done colourising always looks artificial and would be a huge pain.

Although it’s a ton of work for all but the simplest subjects, it needn’t look artificial. Here’s a photograph of Abraham Lincoln, taken in 1860 and colourized a few years ago by the self-taught Brazilian artist Marina Amaral:

3A13727D-DCB9-47B1-A11B-22241D70E08F.jpeg.f117cb5b36f2a6baf8aff31dca9103f3.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Some do it well but it never looks like the real thing or a colour photo of the real thing, there's only so much you can do with a b&w being the underlying image. You wouldn't mistake that for a colour photo. Anyway my real point was that I'm not going to try and colourise something on the fly in vectors. Even more so if more than one is working on it, it just wouldn't work.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

When I was a kid. We used to fold a sheet of a4 paper and draw monsters. 

top section was the head, middle section was the body, bottom was the legs.

you could only see the lines the other person drew from the section above. not the whole thing. 

that could be a fun digital project. Especially if your limited to line drawings and 10 mins of drawing time. (reminds me of art school training)

From one extreme to the other haha. I'm so slow I'm not sure there would be anything worthwhile to look at after 10 minutes unless it was a circle for the head, rectangle for the body...!  We used to do speed drawing too, well that was the idea but I seem to remember also being slow then. Anyway vector isn't really a speedy way of doing anything non-basic.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me