You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

42 minutes ago, DebC said:

Hi, looking for help in how to colour correct some old slides that I scanned.

slides-20210102_0055.jpg

Is this what you would like?  I did this quickly for now, but all I did was use a curves adjustment in the LAB mode and altered 3 of the channels, the A and B channel and tweaked the lightness channel.  In photoshop I would head straight for analysing the white point first, then LAB, but I have no clue in A.Photo how to analyse the white point yet, or rather, establish a white point and the mid tone 128 grey yet.  Something I have to work on.  But if you are happy enough with this so far I can show you in detail tomorrow what to do, have to go, sorry..

Capture.PNG.c91ae4def3a38e682ff3aaa9fcdcd535.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, DebC said:

how to colour correct some old slides that I scanned.

If you have more than one such image (all of them have this color), then I recommend that you properly correct one of them (thoroughly correct the colors), create a LUT by comparing this modified and the original image, and then apply it to all images.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

Is this what you would like?  I did this quickly for now, but all I did was use a curves adjustment in the LAB mode and altered 3 of the channels, the A and B channel and tweaked the lightness channel.  In photoshop I would head straight for analysing the white point first, then LAB, but I have no clue in A.Photo how to analyse the white point yet, or rather, establish a white point and the mid tone 128 grey yet.  Something I have to work on.  But if you are happy enough with this so far I can show you in detail tomorrow what to do, have to go, sorry..

Capture.PNG.c91ae4def3a38e682ff3aaa9fcdcd535.PNG

Yes this is much better... I didn't think to try the curves... I will give that a try... thanks!

color_fix.jpg.cb40a0e9d6637cc3927b55a2b225301e.jpg

1. To get a more accurate result, you should determine first of all the color cast of a neutral redish area in your image with the color picker.
  2. Next create a new empty layer in overlay mode and fill it with the picked up reddish color value. 
  3. Invert the new created reddish color layer.
  4. Merge both visable layers now (you will get a new layer with the result of the merging).
  5. Apply tone level adjustments (for all color channels) and a gradient curve adjustment.

Result:

slides-fix.thumb.jpg.52ba3fbdd9f7652fa93608f576473177.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

color_fix.jpg.cb40a0e9d6637cc3927b55a2b225301e.jpg

1. To get a more accurate result, you should determine first of all the color cast of a neutral redish area in your image with the color picker.
  2. Next create a new empty layer in overlay mode and fill it with the picked up reddish color value. 
  3. Invert the new created reddish color layer.
  4. Merge both visable layers now (you will get a new layer with the result of the merging).
  5. Apply tone level adjustments (for all color channels) and a gradient curve adjustment.

Result:

slides-fix.thumb.jpg.52ba3fbdd9f7652fa93608f576473177.jpg

Thank you... that looks great!  I will try to follow your suggestions using the file you sent... I am a beginner with photo editing so I have lots to learn!

Can you show the histogram for the image?

I don't have Photo to see myself, but I'm wondering if it might just be the red channel is too high. If it's the same as Photoshop you might find that adjusting the red on the histogram will get you most of the way to a correct image.

...and yet another way to quickly remove and improve the heavy red colour cast is to use the Colour Balance Adjustment filter.

Shadows
image.png.370013f7502b7022b6d9d1761e19c833.png

Midtones
image.png.dfd05e8c5395925de93283b1c0d15612.png

Highlights
image.png.5dcfca41eb3e02fd88a01acd93058412.png

You can finally beef up the contrast a bit using the brightness and contrast filter, you can continue to tweak the settings to your taste. Knowing what film type this was may also help.image.png.a354caa9448a5de2c75345ad9cc6a2cc.png

You could also duplicate the colour balance filter and not go as heavy on the settings to retain the striped detail in those canopies in the background, doing it this way stops some of the lighter areas being blown out.
image.png.b9ddd01002329663097201c33274e731.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

One way I have found to get into the ball park is to determine the white point and the black point, white being the lightest point of course, whereas white is relative, "pure" white has 1%R, 2%blue and 0 Green, and I would use the frame as the black. that will give you a gray balance and level the playing field as it were. The trick then is not to reduce the red gamut, as in the sample above, but increase blue and green.

10 hours ago, DebC said:

Hi, looking for help in how to colour correct some old slides that I scanned.

If you have a lot of these to do this was done automatically online in under 8 seconds. You can then further enhance in APhoto if/as required.

https://deepai.org/machine-learning-model/colorizer

slide2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Well personally I have tried a few methods here.  I do not have the Beta 1.9 yet so can not see what Claudio60 has done.  However It would be nice of Affinity could add the colour sampler pickers to the curves adjustment (that is the black white and grey pickers).  Then we could use the threshold accurately.  This is the best manner to colour correct and set white black and grey points which can then be clicked on in the curves dialogue box (at the moment these are not available,)  The white balnace tool adjustment is really redundant and has no purpose, trying to use it is like trying to fly a plane through a tunnel when you do not know the wingspan of your aircraft.  Even using the white balance with the threshold layer on top is also hit and miss, it simply refuses to acknowledge the fact that you have clicked on some grey pixel which the threshold has indicated is grey, looking for the grey point is a disaster, the black point was ok. All in all I think the colour sampler options would be great to have.

I have never made a feature request, it's not something that I believe I have any right to do based on the fact that affinity's pricing for these apps is more than reasonable, but this one time I strongly believe that this type of editing function hits number one in every photographer's workflow, it is always the first thing all photographers do before they even begin to edit creatively..  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

However It would be nice of Affinity could add the colour sampler pickers to the curves adjustment (that is the black, white and grey pickers).

👍 Jip, those are badly missing and usually essential to have there!

That older Serif PhotoPlus seemed to had these ...

photoplus.jpg.1bba70c59bc46c8067ea46e856712a2b.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

👍 Jip, those are badly missing and usually essential to have there!

That older Serif PhotoPlus seemed to had these ...

photoplus.jpg.1bba70c59bc46c8067ea46e856712a2b.jpg

Tut-tut. You can't have everything. The AP 1.9 beta reveals that Serif have spent the last 5 minutes years developing the most frequently requested and most essential feature ever found in an image editing app: video export of the document history.

4 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Well personally I have tried a few methods here.  I do not have the Beta 1.9 yet so can not see what Claudio60 has done.  However It would be nice of Affinity could add the colour sampler pickers to the curves adjustment (that is the black white and grey pickers).  Then we could use the threshold accurately.  This is the best manner to colour correct and set white black and grey points which can then be clicked on in the curves dialogue box (at the moment these are not available,)  The white balnace tool adjustment is really redundant and has no purpose, trying to use it is like trying to fly a plane through a tunnel when you do not know the wingspan of your aircraft.  Even using the white balance with the threshold layer on top is also hit and miss, it simply refuses to acknowledge the fact that you have clicked on some grey pixel which the threshold has indicated is grey, looking for the grey point is a disaster, the black point was ok. All in all I think the colour sampler options would be great to have.

I have never made a feature request, it's not something that I believe I have any right to do based on the fact that affinity's pricing for these apps is more than reasonable, but this one time I strongly believe that this type of editing function hits number one in every photographer's workflow, it is always the first thing all photographers do before they even begin to edit creatively..  

I've already asked for this feature here, a long time ago...White, grey and black picker for color balance - Feedback for Affinity Photo on Desktop - Affinity | Forum (serif.com)

36 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Tut-tut. You can't have everything. The AP 1.9 beta reveals that Serif have spent the last 5 minutes years developing the most frequently requested and most essential feature ever found in an image editing app: video export of the document history.

Hmm Ok I see, so that seems then to count  more (...in their view), than some better white balance support, own RAW develop sidecar file settings support, some xrite colorchecker target support, reworked macro & new scripting support, a well documented/defined PS Plugin API ... and so on! - Well that sounds (to me) more like a visually backtrace feature for supporters then, as far as you can then visually follow all the made/taken steps until something works, or doesn't work as expected etc. Maybe it's meant to be a sort of backtrace screenrecording for showing howtos and the like (I don't know, I stopped looking at or using beta versions of common application software, except for some development tools, no time and left free HD resources for such things).

13 hours ago, firstdefence said:

...and yet another way to quickly remove and improve the heavy red colour cast is to use the Colour Balance Adjustment filter.

Shadows
image.png.370013f7502b7022b6d9d1761e19c833.png

Midtones
image.png.dfd05e8c5395925de93283b1c0d15612.png

Highlights
image.png.5dcfca41eb3e02fd88a01acd93058412.png

You can finally beef up the contrast a bit using the brightness and contrast filter, you can continue to tweak the settings to your taste. Knowing what film type this was may also help.image.png.a354caa9448a5de2c75345ad9cc6a2cc.png

You could also duplicate the colour balance filter and not go as heavy on the settings to retain the striped detail in those canopies in the background, doing it this way stops some of the lighter areas being blown out.
image.png.b9ddd01002329663097201c33274e731.png

Thanks for all your suggestions...much appreciated.  It looks like the film is Ektachrome... that's what it says on the slide.

My decades-old Ektachrome slides have this kind of color loss because the cyan dye fades. I've always corrected the worst of it using the scanner software's settings for color fading, correction, and restoration along with other tools in the scanner software. It may be easier using the scanner software than trying to use a photo editor after scanning.

For a fuller understanding of faded slides,  you may want to read Wayne Fulton's "A Few Scanning Tips" starting with
https://www.scantips.com/color.html

Affinity Photo 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

3 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

My decades-old Ektachrome slides have this kind of color loss because the cyan dye fades. I've always corrected the worst of it using the scanner software's settings for color fading, correction, and restoration along with other tools in the scanner software. It may be easier using the scanner software than trying to use a photo editor after scanning.

For a fuller understanding of faded slides,  you may want to read Wayne Fulton's "A Few Scanning Tips" starting with
https://www.scantips.com/color.html

Thanks for the suggestion.  I recently discovered my scanner allows me to do the colour correction so think I will re-scan a few of the better slides.