You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean Edit going haywire......like me

Just when you thought it was safe to do your own stuff....it fails miserably.  I am trying to get the top half of the blue stroke to go behind everything in this image.  I have tried making a complete circle, then cutting a segment out to get that mathematical precision, I have had to eyeball it by making a similar shorter stroke by hand, when I experiment off to the side with simple operations on the canvas, things go according to plan.  But as you can see from the video,  I can not figure this out I am going bananas, I would like to be shown what I am dong wrong please.  The Green stroke was supposed to take away the blue stroke underneath.  So simple and a few seconds no doubt but I am lost now.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

8 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Just when you thought it was safe to do your own stuff....it fails miserably.  I am trying to get the top half of the blue stroke to go behind everything in this image.  I have tried making a complete circle, then cutting a segment out to get that mathematical precision, I have had to eyeball it by making a similar shorter stroke by hand, when I experiment off to the side with simple operations on the canvas, things go according to plan.  But as you can see from the video,  I can not figure this out I am going bananas, I would like to be shown what I am dong wrong please.  The Green stroke was supposed to take away the blue stroke underneath.  So simple and a few seconds no doubt but I am lost now.

From your video I would guess that the blue circle was not closed before the boolean function.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Either use the ring tool to create the open circle part, or convert an elipse to curves, go to node tool add two points where to break (break with open curve top button) then delete/remove the unwanted curve part.

node_delete.jpg.658c6ce4f3cb0230779e93047ab2c64c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

47 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

From your video I would guess that the blue circle was not closed before the boolean function.

Hallo Gearmaker, yes I checked it was closed.....

26 minutes ago, G13RL said:

If I understand correctly, you can convert the ellipse into curves, insert two nodes at the desired places (ends of the green segment), select these two nodes, "Break Curve". Then change the color of this portion of the ellipse.

Video_2021-01-03_162140.wmv

I had tried this and the new video I am posting shows what has been happeming since last night also.

12 minutes ago, BofG said:

As above, you need first to convert the ellipse whether you then break the curve or subtract from it.

As a general case, if you are subtracting something like that it's best to oversize the part so that it doesn't share any edges with what it is being subtracted from. The Boolean operations are flaky at the best of times. Having two perfectly overlapping curves is generally asking for trouble - I'd expand the stroke on the green part first.

Yep, tried this, see new video.  But thanks for that tip about increasing the size, I did this now.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Either use the ring tool to create the open circle part, or convert an elipse to curves, go to node tool add two points where to break (break with open curve top button) then delete/remove the unwanted curve part.

node_delete.jpg.658c6ce4f3cb0230779e93047ab2c64c.jpg

Hi Kyr, (too many extra buttons to press with the subscore and shift and V to spell your name..😁  anyway, yes this was my first choice, but I wanted to make things difficult for myself, I needed, I wanted I HAD to practise this boolean style becsause there will be furture edits andgraphics where eyeballing it will not be possible, plus there is the matter of precision and mathematical accuracy.  So I need to do it this way otherwise I go to sleep tonight frustrated that I have not achieved the goal.....  HOLD ON, I did not know there was such a thing as a ring tool watching your video

13 minutes ago, G13RL said:

In your video, you use a boolean operation, select the ellipse and segment beforehand and do "Expand Stroke" to get the desired result.

I really do not understand.  I have expanded stroke and was making a video to show how wrong t was going.  Could you please do step for step because it is a bit ambiguous.

3 minutes ago, BofG said:

^ this.

Your paths are still perfect overlaps, the stroke is a separate effect.

Have no idea what you mean sorry.  I am just getting confused here 

Why not use two copies of the ring, clipping the top one so that only the part in front of the sphere remains visible?

7B29E362-3FD2-4E18-BE6C-F27D05E19259.jpeg.fd3d532419ec325c1d5b6f698ebb012f.jpeg 5D2BCCE2-FF7D-4EC3-A10E-0ABC71EC4B18.jpeg.e65ecd9e93ba996493bf1b13a7e14a38.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Or...

image.png.c6f660b3b523288ff39227ed5a85fc1c.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why not use two copies of the ring, clipping the top one so that only the part in front of the sphere remains visible?

7B29E362-3FD2-4E18-BE6C-F27D05E19259.jpeg.fd3d532419ec325c1d5b6f698ebb012f.jpeg 5D2BCCE2-FF7D-4EC3-A10E-0ABC71EC4B18.jpeg.e65ecd9e93ba996493bf1b13a7e14a38.jpeg

Big thanks Alfred, this is the most elegant approach since it also means that I can get the ring to look like it is behind the image.  I would never have thought of this because I have not enough experience in techniques, and lack the understanding enough to think of these things.  Thankyou.

19 minutes ago, BofG said:

Your blue ellipse is a "shape". Before you can subtract from it, you need it to be a curve. Ctrl+enter will do that (or "convert to curves" in the menu).

The green curve has no width to it - the stroke is an effect. If you expand the stroke (layer > expand stroke) the stroke is then made into a full path - and it will then fully cover the blue curve rather than sitting precisely on it. Subtracting it should then work as there's no ambiguity about whether the edges are inside or outside like there was when both curves were essentially identical. This is easier to see if you choose the outline view.

There have been more elegant approaches suggested, but I think it's useful when getting to grips to know why your approach isn't working.

I am gong to contnue to tackle this method for the practise.  I did convert to curves many times, but probably missed that bit once due to getting over-heated with this thing since yesterday evening.  thakyou for the detailed explanation.

>>>>>The green curve has no width to it - the stroke is an effect. If you expand the stroke (layer > expand stroke) the stroke is then made into a full path<<<<<<

An Illusion then?  That is the trouble, we design as we see, and I suppose in the digital graphic editing one has to learn to think as the software does, I suppose this is not intuitive but thanks for pointing this out., not easy.

21 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Or...

image.png.c6f660b3b523288ff39227ed5a85fc1c.png

First defence I will have to look into what you have done as a seperate project, things are going over my head at the moment.  thankyou though.  

2 hours ago, BofG said:

Your blue ellipse is a "shape". Before you can subtract from it, you need it to be a curve. Ctrl+enter will do that (or "convert to curves" in the menu).

The green curve has no width to it - the stroke is an effect. If you expand the stroke (layer > expand stroke) the stroke is then made into a full path - and it will then fully cover the blue curve rather than sitting precisely on it. Subtracting it should then work as there's no ambiguity about whether the edges are inside or outside like there was when both curves were essentially identical. This is easier to see if you choose the outline view.

There have been more elegant approaches suggested, but I think it's useful when getting to grips to know why your approach isn't working.

So, I have followed your comments, have tried multiple attempts.  Still can not get the subtract to function as I expect it to.  Please, What on earth is the problem?  I converted both rings to curves, cut the unwanted part out and expanded the duplicate stroke that was left on top.  I am following every bit of written comment available.  I have zoomed and checked and searched.  What is going wrong?  I can do this now, but it frustrates me that I can not achieve anything with the subtract method.

Extend (expand) the contour of both curves (the red segment and the green elipse shapes), further make sure the red segment part is slightly wider/bigger and covers (overlaps) more of the green elipse curves stroke area. - Then try again to subtract both.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

15 minutes ago, BofG said:

Hmm, that in theory should work, but it seems like it's trying to maintain that as a closed curve.

Try expanding the stroke on the green curve prior to subtracting, also make the stroke a bit thicker on the red curve before you expand that one.

I had tried this before.  However I dd as you suggested again, but this time something different as well.  Here is the result.  you will see 3 layers this time.  I did not make the stroke thicker just left them as is.  Although this is the first time I have had any success using the subtract method (Thankyou for the perseverence) it lacks precision.

9 minutes ago, BofG said:

You just need to expand the strokes immediately prior to the subtract step, not at the start.

By precision, do you mean alignment of the ends of the cut? You can just use the node tool to fine tune the ends just after expanding the stroke, right before you subtract it. It won't matter if the overall curve shape is affected, as it only needs to be larger than what it is cutting.

As a side note, I'm wondering if breaking that ellipse curve prior to subtracting would prevent it from re-closing and save you having to expand it. I'm sure I've done similar to this before and not had that issue.

Thanks Bof, I have now three methods.  But this has been a worthwhile but infuriating exercise in temper tantrums.  I will have a look at your suggestions later after a feww glassesofPort and some fine Italian cheese.

55 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Kyr, I very much appreciate this.  It is plain now to see.  thankyou.