You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Features and install queries

Hi, after 25 years, I’m looking to potentially move away from Adobe creative software. After researching alternative products to Illustrator and Photoshop I came across the Affinity suite. 

Have read through various information on the applications, however I either can’t find or have missed some information which would be useful in choosing the best solution moving forward. 

I have both a work station at the office and at home, can you install the same software instance on both machines, similar to Adobe CC. I.e download on both machines and insert the same activation code linked to your account. Or would you need to buy two copies / codes.

In regards to the Illustrator alternative, I often use the raster to vector conversion tools. Now built in to Illustrator via ‘image trace’ previously acquired via the Abobe Streamline applications. Does this feature also exist somewhere within the Affinity suite. 

Many thanks

8 minutes ago, G.. said:

In regards to the Illustrator alternative, I often use the raster to vector conversion tools. Now built in to Illustrator via ‘image trace’ previously acquired via the Abobe Streamline applications. Does this feature also exist somewhere within the Affinity suite. 

No.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 minutes ago, G.. said:

I have both a work station at the office and at home, can you install the same software instance on both machines, similar to Adobe CC. I.e download on both machines and insert the same activation code linked to your account. Or would you need to buy two copies / codes.

You can install on all the machines that you use exclusively (i.e. you are the only user), and that are the same operating system (mac or Windows). If you have one Windows machine and one mac then you would need a separate licence for each one.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

You can install on all the machines that you use exclusively (i.e. you are the only user), and that are the same operating system (mac or Windows). If you have one Windows machine and one mac then you would need a separate licence for each one.

Great thanks Paul

23 minutes ago, G.. said:

Hello @G.. and wecome to the forums.

You can install any one of the Affnity apps on computers that you control or own with the same operating system all with the same licence.

None of the Affinity apps offer a raster-to-vector facility. This has been requested many times but Serif has shown little enthusiasm for adding this. There are, however, many independant programs that will do this for you, many for free.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Hello @G.. and wecome to the forums.

You can install any one of the Affnity apps on computers that you control or own with the same operating system all with the same licence.

None of the Affinity apps offer a raster-to-vector facility. This has been requested many times but Serif has shown little enthusiasm for adding this. There are, however, many independant programs that will do this for you, many for free.

John

Cheers John, oh really that’s a shame, but good to know.

I have gotten used to the Streamline functionality now fully integrated with Illustrator. 

I might have a gander at what independent apps are available out there. Off the top of your head do you recommend any free or paid ones that integrate will with Affinity suite?

Cheers for the welcome ;)

Edited by G..

1 hour ago, G.. said:

I might have a gander at what independent apps are available out there. Off the top of your head do you recommend any free or paid ones that integrate will with Affinity suite?

@G..

I have no experience of any of these raster-to-vector apps, but if you use the forums search box with the words "raster to vector" it should provide you with some recommendations.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

My goto apps are Intaglio Vectorize (FREE) and Image Vectorizer, although I think both are Mac only - the benefits of Vectorize is the ability to reduce the amount of nodes and once copy pasted into Affinity, you get a unified vector - with Image Vectorizer (small fee from MAS) there's lots of options for halftone screens and whatnot but once copy pasted into Affinity you'll need to group in order to colour up the result.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk