You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Failed to Load Document" - Sandboxing?

I have had trouble opening documents previously saved recently (see screenshot error message), but have been able to fix it by deleting a Library file but can't find that article that told me which file to delete.  Also have been able to fix it by setting Photo back to factory settings fixed it this time, by holding Control on start up and Clearing all check boxes.  

Anyone know which file I am supposed to delete in the Library of MacOS until Apple fixes this for Apps like PHoto downloaded from the App store?  

Or any other help would be appreciated.

Also, I don't think it's a Font issue since I only have roughly 300 or less fonts installed and in the default locations.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.31.48 AM.png

From the wording of the notice I would guess your hard drive is close to full and there isn't enough space to open the file by reading it into Swap File space.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Ah thank you.  But I don't think it's close to full with 138 gb free (64 purgable)?  But maybe I am missing something.  Also it works fine opening and saving after clearing and setting back to factory defaults when launching Photo by holding Control and selecting all to Clear.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.01.29 AM.png

My math says after subtraction you have 76+/- gigs free, and that is about 7% of your hard drive. That is far too low. Get an external HD and offload most of your files to that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Well over 10% is free. I think it’s a Sandboxing issue especially after other things I read several weeks ago but cannot find them again after looking. And Espcially after resetting Photo back to factory settings it works fine immediately. Wouldn’t work if it was a full hard drive issue. 

• Staff

Hi @Ben in Texas,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Did you change the Disk Usage Warning slider in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section previously before resetting the app? I assume the app is working fine now/loading the files correctly but when it fails, does it fails for all files or just a few specific ones? Have you tried to free up some more disk space permanently and check if the problem persist? We do use the primary storage for a lot of temporary data (depending on file dimensions/complexity).

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @Ben in Texas,
Did you change the Disk Usage Warning slider in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section previously before resetting the app? I assume the app is working fine now/loading the files correctly but when it fails, does it fails for all files or just a few specific ones? Have you tried to free up some more disk space permanently and check if the problem persist? We do use the primary storage for a lot of temporary data (depending on file dimensions/complexity).

Hi @MEB, 

Thank you.  I did not change the slider yet, I will do that.  Yes the app is working fine now, and it was not just one file, it was several different files, all around 105mb as the Affinity Photo File.  And it wasn't just files I opened from iCloud drive, (that is where I normally work from, iCloud drive).  When I had problems like this with opening Photo Documents before, about 6 weeks ago, I moved them to Desktop and it still had exact problem, so I concluded that iCloud was not a problem.

I did free up space AFTER it started working this latest go around.  But before that I had well over 128 gb free on a 1.1 TB Fusiion drive and I would think that should be fine to open one 120 MB file, just like it's been fine for over a year, all while still have the same about of HD space free.   BTW I have 24 gb RAM.  2014 iMac 5K.

It also started working after having the same problem before, by me deleting a particular Application Support file, that I originally found through Affinity forums that led me to an Apple Forum that told which file to delete, I assume it was a prefs file, but I have no idea where that article is or the file it referenced.  It mentioned that when Apple released Big Sur a couple months ago, they changed something the way MacOS handles apps purchased in the app store, and would sandbox certain Apps.  This problem seems to coincide when that release happened, And I still haven't upgraded to Big Sur.

These files are basic RAW photos taken with my iPhone 8+, not huge resolution or file size initially, around 14 MB each.  

I have never had this error, or any problem remotely like it, before the Big Sur MacOS release, which again, I have not upgraded to.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @Ben in Texas,

Here are my Performance Preferences, I assume they are the default values, as I don't remember ever changing them.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.30.19 AM.png