You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dropcap funny with centred text

Hello everyone,

The dropcap feature doesn't work with centre justified text. So this is a bug report or feature request, however you would like to see it! :)

Obviously, the dropped capital should be flush with the text and not pushed to the edge of the text frame.

Happy new year!

35201157_Screenshot2020-12-31at11_37_55am.png.be92f228eb208398726668c646608602.png

We may need to have a look at your document to see what is going on...

dropcaps2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I truly question the usefulness (Centre or Right justified text with a drop cap) of this design choice but... 

If I had to I would use Initial Words for the Paragraph style and make a Character Style for the letters used by it. In this case For Dropped Cap (Character Style) has a 300% scale applied and then there is a leading offset, you could choose a different font face if you wanted to I left it as no change.

The paragraph style uses a Zero Width Space for the end character and you have to copy and paste that into the Text Styles editing window. Check them out in the Text Styles

dropcaptest bruce.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, Efvee said:

Hello everyone,

The dropcap feature doesn't work with centre justified text. So this is a bug report or feature request, however you would like to see it! :)

Obviously, the dropped capital should be flush with the text and not pushed to the edge of the text frame.

Happy new year!

Yep, just ran into the same problem.

On 1/1/2021 at 8:59 PM, Old Bruce said:

I truly question the usefulness (Centre or Right justified text with a drop cap) of this design choice but... 

dropcaptest bruce.afpub

This is a common typographic style used in church orders of service so would be useful if it worked without all the fiddling which I can barely follow! Applied my own fiddle instead to stop the brain strain....!