You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: change a picture frame's location on a page with applied master

Hello, I hope that someone can explain me what I'm doing wrong, or maybe I chose a totally wrong way of achieving something, but I don't know how to do it better. Anyway, I decided to create different master pages for a picture album layout (including only picture frames, no text). The master pages include different combinations of picture frame(s) so that when I'm creating an album, I can choose between different pre-created layouts and mix them as I like. Sometimes, however, I want a very small change to a layout, but I don't want to create a whole new master page for that. Like, if I have a single picture frame on a master page that's centered on that page, and now I just want to align it to the right, I don't want a new master page (else I'll end up having too many), but instead I try to edit my page with a master applied to it (I choose edit detached). That works, HOWEVER if I move that picture frame to the right, this change affects the master page as well! And also all the other pages where I applied the same master... And I just don't understand where it goes wrong. I am *not* editing my master page, I am editing a page, say, number 15 that has master B applied to it. I edit it in detached mode, but after I am done my page 15 has changed, my master B has ALSO changed, and also my pages 6 and 9 (which also have master B applied to them). So, how do I *only* change that picture frame's position on page 15, and keep the other pages the way they were before? Is that even possible? Thanks a lot for your time reading this!

12 minutes ago, Vosje said:

(I choose edit detached). That works, HOWEVER if I move that picture frame to the right, this change affects the master page as well! And also all the other pages where I applied the same master...

That exactly what should happen if you selected Edit Linked not Edit Detached

Are you sure you are selecting Edit Detached?

We may need a video to see what is happening

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply! I used edit detached, that's absolutely sure, tested it again just now and it showed the same behaviour. I was really afraid that my template file somehow got corrupted since you said that it should have worked the other way, so I deleted that certain page and recreated everything from start, and now it works! As in, it works as expected, when I use edit detached my master is not affected anymore! Phew! I'm not sure what went wrong, I really have a lot of master pages, but this is the first time that this happened to me and if it happens again I will be sure to make a video. I didn't now, and since it behaves the way it should currently, I cannot recreate this behaviour anymore... Anyway, thanks for your help, I just wasn't sure anymore whether what I was doing was supposed the work the way I wanted it to, but now I know that the answer is yes. :) Happy new year, by the way!

1 hour ago, Vosje said:

now it works! As in, it works as expected,

In this case your 'as expected' is exactly what should happen. I am glad you got it working. I too wonder what the problem was.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Well done, & confirmed here on Windows, looks like you have discovered a bug.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

A quick test here on Mac OS 10.14.6 shows that if I have more than one master page on a spread choose the master lower in the layers panel and using the Align buttons (Top, Bottom, etc.) in the toolbar will make things move. It may be that combination of more than one Master Page and choosing one then the other to edit detached will cause the problem. The problem occurs but not 100% of the time.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.