You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.2)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Please Note: We will do our utmost to fix anything that emerges as quickly as possible, but we just wanted you to understand that for production work we would recommend using the Mac App Store version until this beta has been validated for a few weeks. There are no translations included with this beta version, sorry - we aim to get them back soon...

Notable changes:

- Fix for compatibility issues with OS X Lion and Mountain Lion

- Fix for PNG import issues

- Fix for dragging enclosure objects in the Layers panel (this was broken in last time’s beta, sorry)

- Many improvements to raster and vector export and options

- Added user-defined Rotation Centre to the tools

- Numerous PDF import and export improvements

- Tweaks to character and paragraph panels

- Expanded slightly on the Keyboard Shortcuts functionality

Thank you so much for the addition of the rotation centre tool. It’s indeed awesome, and the implementation is really smart. And I like the new option to drag guides from the ruler with the Node Tool. :)

Well, before I forget the following things, let me just add three observations.

• I could not figure out how to snap the rotation centre to its parent shape, neither to the bounding box nor to key points of the object geometry. It snaps just to other shapes. 
  • It would be great, if we had a switch on the Transform Panel that would allow us to disable the rotation centre setting there. When I reposition the rotation centre for a shape on the canvas, the Transform Panel setting always seems to overrule my custom canvas setting. But it would be great, if we could use the Transform Panel to edit rotation degrees numerically for on-canvas rotation centres as well.
  • I noticed some odd behavior of the Node Tool. Seems I cannot select the Node Tool while a text tool is active or a text frame selected. Please have a look at my video below.

Oh dear, it must be frustrating to get ever new user suggestions and observations after a week of hard work, but I hope you don’t mind these comments … awesome work. It’s wonderful to see the applications evolve.

Cheers, Alex  :)

Node_Tool_Oddities.mov

Thank you so much for the addition of the rotation centre tool. It’s indeed awesome, and the implementation is really smart. And I like the new option to drag guides from the ruler with the Node Tool. :)

Well, before I forget the following things, let me just add three observations.

• I could not figure out how to snap the rotation centre to its parent shape, neither to the bounding box nor to key points of the object geometry. It snaps just to other shapes. 
  • It would be great, if we had a switch on the Transform Panel that would allow us to disable the rotation centre setting there. When I reposition the rotation centre for a shape on the canvas, the Transform Panel setting always seems to overrule my custom canvas setting. But it would be great, if we could use the Transform Panel to edit rotation degrees numerically for on-canvas rotation centres as well.
  • I noticed some odd behavior of the Node Tool. Seems I cannot select the Node Tool while a text tool is active or a text frame selected. Please have a look at my video below.

Oh dear, it must be frustrating to get ever new user suggestions and observations after a week of hard work, but I hope you don’t mind these comments … awesome work. It’s wonderful to see the applications evolve.

Cheers, Alex  :)

I am not experiencing this. Yosemite OS.

Guys, although a lot of the issues with the pdf export have been fixed, I'm having a new problem.  The colours in the pdf files from the beta are dull and washed out compared to using the MAS version (or the old engine in the beta options).

Don't know if you can tell from the screen grabs below, but it's the same with all 'new' options - print, X1a, X3 and X4.

post-12287-0-03312700-1442052988_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-60228400-1442053004_thumb.jpg

The shots above are from Adobe Reader, but there is another issue, and that is that Finder does not preview pdfs from the new engine well.

For example, in the screen grabs in my post above, the blacks look OK in Adobe Reader, but not in Finder previews. See attached 'old' and 'new'.old

post-12287-0-61500800-1442056052_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-30083700-1442056062_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the Lion Fix!

Some observations:

-The character and paragraph palettes are really nice, but there is a bug in font selection: Only if I select a font from the context bar on top does it actually change the font, changing it from the character palette does not work.

- I think the typography panel is a bit of an afterthought, I would rather have it integrated in the characters palette, or have it as a palette in the same order as character & paragraph.

- non-destructive Boolean operations on paths with smart nodes do not work, i.e. give weird results

- boolean operations on open paths or lines give really weird results: I guess these operations are not supposed to work on these paths, but instead of giving no results, it creates some weird sh** :-)

- Expanding strokes gives way too many points and is not really usable in this form at the moment

- I am still hoping to have more control over the amount of smoothness and accuracy in the pencil & brush tools in the designer persona, also a way to rework/redraw the paths by drawing over them or connecting with them as it is present in illustrator would really be good!

Thanks for all the hard work!

Is your document RGB? The export presets you mention all use CMYK - they are all for print which needs CMYK inks. If you use the Web preset, that forces sRGB, and the Export preset will use the colour space of your document: do those have the same issue?

Hi Dave. Sorry it's taken so long to reply.

This seems to be quite a complicated topic.  What I've discovered is that it makes no difference if the original document is RGB or CMYK.  When exported to pdf, the 'print', 'x1' and 'x3' options all produce the the same regardless of whether the original is RGB or CMYK, and that is what I would expect as the colours are being converted.

I have attached an image that hopefully shows some grabs of different outputs. I know it maybe difficult to see, but the black background is exactly the same in the original Designer CMYK document, in the Designer 'x1' pdf export and one from Photoshop 'x1' pdf export.  However, it is very different in the Designer 'print' pdf export. The black is washed out and basically grey!

The second issue is rendering of fonts in Designer pdf exports.  On the same image, you can see that Photoshop pretty accurately replicates the original Designer document, but the other two 'bloat' the text quite a lot, which can be a problem.

The interesting thing is that the Photoshop exports were done from a Designer exported pdf! So, not sure where that leaves us!

post-12287-0-80721700-1442139086_thumb.jpg

Sure, Dave.  See attached.  I am having all sorts of other issues with the pdf export in AD.

I have just sent a pdf exported from 'print' option in AD, and the client says it just comes up as corrupted when he tries to load it into Corel Draw.  I am wondering if this is related to the Illustrator error message which has been discussed before.  (Image attached of that as well).

In addition, when I export the same file from the MAS version of AD using the 'print' option, the file saved is 15Mb, when I export it from the beta version of AD using the 'for print' option it is 1.6Mb!

post-12287-0-22032200-1442141336_thumb.jpg

Cocktail menu 2.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Joju,

To use a user-defined Rotation Centre, you must have an object selected, enable Show Rotation Centre button in the context toolbar (on Move, Node and Shape tools) and then set its position on canvas. Then if you rotate the object it will respect the new rotation centre.

post-59-0-78062700-1442147129_thumb.jpg

Regarding the Help, what OS are you running?

Hi Joju,

To use a user-defined Rotation Centre, you must have an object selected, enable Show Rotation Centre button in the context toolbar (on Move, Node and Shape tools) and then set its position on canvas. Then if you rotate the object it will respect the new rotation centre.

Regarding the Help, what OS are you running?

And how do I make the rotation cursor snap to the anchor points or corners of an object?

Doesn’t look very precise right now.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

Some observations:

-The character and paragraph palettes are really nice, but there is a bug in font selection: Only if I select a font from the context bar on top does it actually change the font, changing it from the character palette does not work.

- non-destructive Boolean operations on paths with smart nodes do not work, i.e. give weird results

- boolean operations on open paths or lines give really weird results: I guess these operations are not supposed to work on these paths, but instead of giving no results, it creates some weird sh** :-)

- Expanding strokes gives way too many points and is not really usable in this form at the moment

Hi postmadesign,

Thanks for your feedback.

The first issue (font selection) seems to be a specific Lion issue. I'm not able to check this (no Lion machine available) but i will raise it with the dev team.

Smart Nodes Issue logged to be looked at. 

Currently it's not "possible" to perform boolean operations between open and closed paths. This will be addressed later in a future update.

We are also aware of the Expand Strokes issues. This will also be improved later.

The snapping currently only snaps to other objects. Just need to wire it up to snap to itself - won't take a few minutes so don't panic :)

You work even today? Impressive :D . Those artboards should be here in no time then  ;)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.