You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Remove an applied Style

How do I remove a Style from an object if I decide I don't like the effect?  Is there a way, other than opening History and going back past it there?  Undo does not work.  A right/click on the Style button offers Rename or Delete, which sounds like it would apply to the Style itself rather than the application of.

• Staff

Thanks, Callum, but I mentioned using History in my original question.  I was wondering if there was another, easier way, like there is for other adjustments and effects.

I'd just noticed that as you replied Sorry! Other than undoing or using the history resetting the shape to defaults as A_B_C said is the only other option I can think of.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 11 months later...

I found this thread looking for an answer to this question. I cannot make an empty style; there has to be at least a stroke or fill. So, I've make a new style that has a fill, and just change the fill back after applying the "Empty" style. Not a great solution.

The problem is that 'no fill' isn't the same as 'original fill'. If I select multiple objects which have different fills and I apply the Rainbow style to them, they all acquire a conical rainbow fill which replaces the original fill rather than being overlaid on top of it, so there is no way to undo the style at a later date.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/20/2016 at 6:29 AM, desult said:

I cannot make an empty style; there has to be at least a stroke or fill.

Since styles are probably internally bound as various possible additional attributes to objects (like fill, bitmap, gradient a stroke color, FX effects etc.), it looks like to not be provided actually that such an enhanced object can be reset later into a completely unbound attribute state.

Also an undo is here just a sort of a jet momentary fall back to the objects previous state, as far as no operations on other objects have been performed in the meantime. Meaning if you do other operations in between on other objects you can't alter (undo) a specific objects state afterwards here, since undo/redo work on an app global operation chain. Also the usage of the history is just an overall move in that global operation chain.

It might be useful to offer in future also sort of a "remove attributes" function here for certain applicable objects, which then just removes all so far applied style attributes etc., so an object is just plain unset in an initial state again.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

52 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

It might be useful to offer in future also sort of a "remove attributes" function here for certain applicable objects, which then just removes all so far applied style attributes etc., so an object is just plain unset in an initial state again.

What would be the plain unset initial state? No fill or stroke color & zero stroke thickness, or what?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 10/18/2018 at 10:13 PM, bigbill said:

Agreed, not sure how to get rid of a style. Even if I "undo" it doesn't go away

Responding late to that comment, but you need to look at the History to make sure you only need 1 undo. Sometimes you may need more.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What would be the plain unset initial state? No fill or stroke color & zero stroke thickness, or what?

That's already available, as mentioned earlier in this thread, via the Revert Defaults button :)

image.png.b43109068f2adfc5e8056185e83ce11b.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Since there is an "Edit > Transfer style" function, which can transfer style attributes (copy/paste) from one object to another, the reverse of that aka removing applied attributes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

That's already available, as mentioned earlier in this thread, via the Revert Defaults button :)

But would that qualify as an "unset" state? Besides, I don't think that changes anything in already created objects ... does it?

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Since there is an "Edit > Transfer style" function, which can transfer style attributes (copy/paste) from one object to another, the reverse of that aka removing applied attributes.

That just pastes the attributes from the current object copied to the clipboard to the selected object(s). There is no 'reverse' that simply removes whatever attributes were on the clipboard at whatever time Edit > Paste Style was applied to some previously selected object(s). How could there be?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

That just pastes the attributes from the current object copied to the clipboard to the selected object(s).

Think in code instead what this operation does behind the scenes, an object gets attributes assigned it didn't had before and redraws. - Now remove those assigned attributes of the object again and redraw.

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Think in code instead what this operation does behind the scenes, an object gets attributes assigned it didn't had before and redraws. - Now remove those assigned attributes of the object again and redraw.

But "before" it could have any attributes, & there is no record of what they might have been at any previous time. It isn't an "undo" that reverts to the last or some other previous attribute state like with the history or a snapshot.

All it does is paste the style attributes of whatever object is currently copied to the clipboard to the target object, & there must be a suitable object on the clipboard with applicable attributes for that to work. There is no "uncopy" or "unpaste," if that is what you mean.

Affinity Photo 

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But "before" it could have any attributes, & there is no record of what they might have been at any previous time. It isn't an "undo" that reverts to the last or some other previous attribute state like with the history or a snapshot.

If you apply a style to an object it changes only certain attributes of that object, namely those attributes who are only available and applicable for styles. Either internally an applied style assigns new attribute values and overwrites pre-existing ones or instead it may take style set precedence over previous values, this depends on it's implementation. Aka either ...

Obj1
  x: nnn
  y: nnn
 w: nnn
 h: nnn
 r: nnn
s: nnn
strokeColor: nnn
fillColor: nnn

-OR-

Obj2
style {strokeColor: nnn, fillColor: nnn, ... fx {...} ... }

... so in order to remove an actual selected objects style setting, set the style related attribute values back to object defaults. If previous color settings aren't reassignable, since styles possibly overwritte these,  the user has to reassign these, since the object now has no associated/applied style attributes.

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

... so in order to remove an actual selected objects style setting, set the style related attribute values back to object defaults.

But what exactly do you mean by object defaults? If I understand what you are suggesting correctly, there might be 'style set' of attributes that takes precedence over any individual attributes an object might already have been given, while the individual attributes are still saved as per object properties, right?

So what happens if for example, I have applied some effect(s) to an object before assigning a style to it, making that part of the object's defaults? IOW, something like this:
Obj1
fx {...}

If I then apply a style, adding the fx {...} to the style set, & then later remove it, does it revert to the existing 'default' fx {...} not in the style set or what? What if the fx are different in the style set than in the existing fx {...}, or the same fx but with a different blend mode, color, intensity, etc?

It just doesn't seem likely, at least to me, that there is a separate style set in addition to the individual ones. It adds a complication that doesn't seem to have a lot of usefulness, unless which attributes take precedence over the various other possible attributes is somehow sorted out in a way that is intuitive & does what users would expect, given the number of potential defaults.

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But what exactly do you mean by object defaults?

Suppose you create a new shape, let's say a rect, you draw that on the canvas. Initially if not setup otherwise, it usually has no associated stroke, no fill and no applied style. That's how it draws as default then and as that object appears in the layers panel. Now apply a style to that default rect object, it get's additionally set all the related attributes (values) that style has been created with. Next just suppose you have a menu action which removes all these style related attribute settings again from a selected object, so the rect will be leaved as it was in it's initial state when created, no associated stroke, no fill and no applied style.