You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Remove an applied Style

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Suppose you create a new shape, let's say a rect, you draw that on the canvas. Initially if not setup otherwise, it usually has no associated stroke, no fill and no applied style. That's how it draws as default then and as that object appears in the layers panel. Now apply a style to that default rect object, it get's additionally set all the related attributes (values) that style has been created with. Next just suppose you have a menu action which removes all these style related attribute settings again from a selected object, so the rect will be leaved as it was in it's initial state when created, no associated stroke, no fill and no applied style.

Good description of the behavior.

And we have such a menu item: Edit > Defaults > Revert

If applied when an object is selected, it affects just that object. If applied with no object selected, it reverts all the defaults.

You also have an icon that does the same thing: image.png.4b8065d72cfd06d3293d4adf772d4672.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Good description of the behavior.

If applied when an object is selected, it affects just that object. If applied with no object selected, it reverts all the defaults.

You also have an icon that does the same thing: image.png.4b8065d72cfd06d3293d4adf772d4672.png

Yes seems to do that, so we already have such a remove style menu entry/button the OP asked for! - Other drawing tools offer similar things for effects and styles etc., some of them even to a much finer degree for certain applied effects/styles, similar in behavior like the layers panel operates here.

apply_remove_effects.jpg.86579b06413a7a83c1402e5cb782c9cb.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Suppose you create a new shape, let's say a rect, you draw that on the canvas. Initially if not setup otherwise, it usually has no associated stroke, no fill and no applied style.

??? I almost always create new shapes with at least a stroke or a fill, & as often as not with both. Those settings are 'sticky' so I take advantage of that. Doesn't everybody?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Doesn't everybody?

No why should you do that, if all you want is to create an own bitmap filled style with some bitmap patterns or the like. You just need a plain shape obj then, no associated stroke, no prefill.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but it reverts to the current application defaults, whatever they are at that time. That could include any stroke type or width, or fill type. Try this:

1. On a new document, draw (for example) a rectangle.
  2. Give it a 50% opaque red fill color, an 8 px green stroke, & set a pressure curve for the stroke.
  3. With the rectangle selected, either click the sync button or choose "Synchronize from selection" from the Edit > Default menu.
  4. From the Edit > Default menu select "Save."

This sets the defaults to the step 2 attributes, so when you draw the next rectangle, shape, or curve, it will be drawn with those attributes. If you then choose Edit > Defaults > Revert with any objects selected that have any other style attributes, they will 'revert' to the ones set in step 2.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

No why should you do that, if all you want is to create an own bitmap filled style with some bitmap patterns or the like. You just need a plain shape obj then, no associated stroke, no prefill.

I don't get it. Why would you create a shape with no fill or stroke if you are going to apply any style to it, bitmap or otherwise, or set any attributes to it & create a style from that?

Affinity Photo 

Make some of your own style palettes just with bitmap fills, like those "fire", "wild animal", "rust" etc. I've done once in the past for AD and you will probably see. When you crate styles, why should there be first a shape with a stroke and fill at all then, if that shape will be finally filled with just a sized image portion I want to reuse as a style? Why should there be first a stroke I don't want and fill, which will then be overwritten anyway for creating the bitmap style? 

50 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, but it reverts to the current application defaults, whatever they are at that time. That could include any stroke type or width, or fill type

Yes. Which also was the default for the shape, unless you changed the defaults after the shape was created.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

When you crate styles, why should there be first a shape with a stroke and fill at all then, if that shape will be finally filled with just a sized image portion I want to reuse as a style?

What does it matter if it has a fill when created? Your are just going to change it to whatever fill style you want, right? If you create the shape with no stroke or fill, it won't be visible until you add a fill stroke style of some kind (& don't forget you can apply bitmap styles to both strokes & fills).

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes. Which also was the default for the shape, unless you changed the defaults after the shape was created.

It is the default for every shape in the document. IOW, the defaults are global, not per shape. So if indeed you do change the defaults, that is what the selected shape will 'revert' to, not some per shape default.

Affinity Photo 

It occurs to me that a true 'remove all style attributes' function could be implemented with a style that had no fill & no stroke ... except that neither Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer will create a style from an object that has neither one. :(

If something like a pure white fill & no stroke is close enough, that can easily be added as a style, as could the same thing with the fill set to 0% opacity, but I don't think that is something many people would find useful.

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What does it matter if it has a fill when created? Your are just going to change it to whatever fill style you want, right? If you create the shape with no stroke or fill, it won't be visible until you add a fill stroke style of some kind (& don't forget you can apply bitmap styles to both strokes & fills).

Probably unneccessary history and finally file size blow up if you try to place more than 30 such styles into one own palette created from a custom template file. - And if all you want is always just a bitmap fill why bother with the unneaded rest at all (resource wastage)?

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Probably unneccessary history and finally file size blow up if you try to place more than 30 such styles into one own palette created from a custom template file. - And if all you want is always just a bitmap fill why bother with the unneaded rest at all (resource wastage)?

If you are not saving the history with the document (& why would you?) that isn't an issue. I also don't know why you would bother with a template file for creating styles -- all you need is one shape that you apply the style attributes to & then add that as a style.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, R C-R said:

If you are not saving the history with the document (& why would you?) that isn't an issue. I also don't know why you would bother with a template file for creating styles -- all you need is one shape that you apply the style attributes to & then add that as a style.

Reusability and as a common style overview file then, in order to show how all the xx category styles look like. Which usually is a common practice to show people also how things look like then!

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Reusability and as a common style overview file then, in order to show how all the xx category styles look like. Which usually is a common practice to show people also how things look like then!

OK, but what does that have to do with creating style presets?

Affinity Photo 

I use empty shapes as presets here, as said before above, that's my default (no stroke, no (white) fill etc.) for making the sort of styles I do.

So "to everyone his own and to me my". - Others can use their defaults here as needed or be fine with the usual app revert to default behavior (shapes with a default white fill then) which doesn't hurt either, since with one two clicks it can be changed to have no fill then. So I don't care much about all that since it's still all changable.

• 2 months later...

This is pretty simple end effective already in AP,  just go to stroke and fill in the top left with the object selected and set them to nothing or play around until you get what you are looking for.   I honestly don't see a need for a change. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2015 at 9:47 AM, MEB said:

Hi LilleG,

Undo ⌘ (cmd) + Z should remove the style. Aren't it working for you?

This doesn't work if you've moved on to other objects in your work and then decide you don't like the original style that was applied. If you go back through the history it will delete all of the new work you've created. Was this issue ever resolved?

6 hours ago, WGD said:

This doesn't work if you've moved on to other objects in your work and then decide you don't like the original style that was applied. If you go back through the history it will delete all of the new work you've created. Was this issue ever resolved?

Nothing has changed that I know of. If you want to remove a Style from an object you just set its stroke to none and fill to empty, or simply assign the Style you'd rather have.

-- Walt
PC:

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Nothing has changed that I know of. If you want to remove a Style from an object you just set its stroke to none and fill to empty,

You also need to remove all the FX's that were applied via the Style or when you next add a fill / stroke etc all those FX's will show up again

I don't think there is yet a way to revert an object back to how it looked just prior to assigning a Style to it but you can clear all styles on an object, in one go, by creating a Style which has no fill, stroke, FX etc and saving that as a Style  (If you name it something like "no style" it should be obvious what it does).

It's also quicker if you have multiple objects you want to remove a Style from as you can select all the objects then just apply the "no style" Style once

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Sparkyj said:

There is no "No Style" Style in the Mac version.

You should be able to "uncheck' a style or select the "No Style" style, but there isn't one. V 1.8.3

There is certainly a "No Style" setting for either a Paragraph Text Style, or a Character Text Style.

But Text Styles and Styles are different things. Do you really have a "No Style" in the Styles panel (as opposed to the Text Styles panel)?

-- Walt
PC:

• 9 months later...

Please, please, Affinity, just add a 'Reset Text' option in the contextual dialog when I highlight the text that I want to revert to its normal state.  The 'History Timeline' approach is much too cumbersome for such a simple task. We're just dumping stuff!

I want to use styles and I always hate myself for not duplicating the text first. Sometimes, I cannot. It is not until I am well into a design that I might want to change the applied style. The Timeline approach is both ineffective and frustrating to do something so utterly simple.

I will say it again--even if I suspect that is an annoying thing to say here--MS Word and PowerPoint win because they simplify life and serve many common user needs well. Learn from them!  AffDesign is supposed to exist on another vastly superior planet than MS PowerPoint, no?

9 minutes ago, Edmund DelSol said:

Please, please, Affinity, just add a 'Reset Text' option in the contextual dialog when I highlight the text that I want to revert to its normal state. 

Here I just select the text frame with the Move tool and apply [no style] to it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Bruce, thanks. Your video applies to text styles (TSt). I was referring to those other graphic styles in the specialty/decorative styles panels (Styles). Here is a another problem with the use of the term 'styles' that needs cleaning up in the Aff Design UI. See attached image. If you know how to clear these easily---other than History--would love to get that tip.

2021-04-06_AffDesign-Styles.jpg