You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher. Text overriden by the style on the following paragraph

I have a publication that exhibits a rather strange behaviour.

I have two paragraphs with the body style followed by a Heading paragraph. All paragraphs have a style paragraph applied, with no format overrides.

image.png.dfba71ead2145be802ccd3a84e9e00cb.png

If I continue typing at the end of the first paragraph, the style is maintained because it is followed by a paragraph with the same style. But if I type something at the end of the second, the style is overridden with the style of the following paragraph and I have to keep resetting the formatting.

image.png.4fb7c9327c8e36ef35a97ff9896751c3.png

I suppose I have done something in this particular publication, but I have no idea what it might be and it does not happen on other publications, just in this particular one.

I am using Publisher v1.8.5.703

Thank you very much in advance,

Manuel

Edited by momsoft
Add screenshots

Just a guess, without having a sample document: Enable Text > Show Special Characters and make sure you have paragraph breaks where you expect them. Perhaps one (after "this is another body") is a Line Break, instead.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Strange behaviour.afpub

I have been able to replicate the problem in a new publication by copying the styles so the problem can be seen opening the attached file and entering any text at the end of the line before the heading style.

This also means that the problem is most probably due to some setting in one of the styles used on the publication.

Thanks in advance,

Manuel

I have seen something similar many times (no repro recipe, though, although cutting, pasting and deleting paragraph breaks is usually involved), where a bunch of text gets property overrides as if a particular paragraph style is assigned, yet that style is not assigned to the affected text.  I say "property overrides" because explicitly assigning a paragraph style to the affected text has no visible effect.  When I run into this problem, I have to clear all character and paragraph properties, then am able to assign a paragraph style as expected.

Seems like a bug to me, but for all I know this is some subtle intended behavior.

Yes, it looks like a bug, but in this case it is a different one because it also happens if you start with a new text frame from scratch, even in a completely new publication.

I have tried to remove all the styles and recreate them but the problem reappear.

It is very odd.

There is something going on with the Based on and Next Style for the heading 1 style, it seems to be retroactively applying the heading style to the previous paragraph. I try to avoid the next style feature and only use it for lists.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

25 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

There is something going on with the Based on and Next Style for the heading 1 style,

Except it's not just the Heading style, it's all the paragraph styles. If you do the same action on any paragraph in the top text frame in the file, you get the same results.

23 hours ago, prophet said:
23 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

There is something going on with the Based on and Next Style for the heading 1 style,

Except it's not just the Heading style, it's all the paragraph styles. If you do the same action on any paragraph in the top text frame in the file, you get the same results.

And with all its Next Styles set to [No Style] the issue still occurs to me.

It reminds me to this unwanted paragraph style change within a line, even within a word. Though this sample uses Next Styles its bug seems to be caused by double paragraph breaks (empty line) at earlier positions within the text:

In the OP's .afpub I experience another oddity: the styles "Base 1" / "Body 1" get reported in the Style Editor window as having a "Hyperlink" property:

149246052_hyperlinkwithinparagraphstyle1.jpg.9124a7d714b9a1e019ebcb2e81c5cb7d.jpg

I can't find a hyperlink option in the paragraph style settings, also the document doesn't contain a Hyperlink or hyperlink style.
If I create create a hyperlink then APub offers by default a style "Hyperlink". It gets created as character style if I confirm – but in this .afpub this style initially doesn't exist:

1224333558_hyperlinkwithinparagraphstyle2.jpg.3c917f634e4ec21bda03f4d56c16a919.jpg

So I wonder what makes the "Hyperlink" appear which is currently mentioned as property of both "Base 1" and "Body 1"?
@momsoft, were hyperlinks used in this .afpub or its objects, either as link or style at any earlier stage?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I have the same experience. I have replaced all the Next styles to [Same style] and the problem persists.

So I wonder what makes the "Hyperlink" appear which is currently mentioned as property of "Base 1"?
@momsoft, were hyperlinks used in this .afpub or its objects, either as link or style at any earlier stage?

I had not noticed it, but it seems to be the cause of the problem!

I don't remember having used hyperlinks on the original publication, at least consciously. And I surely didn't in the test document. It seems that somehow a link to Page 4 of the publication (???) became part of the definition of the "body" style (renamed to "body 1" on the test document when I copied the text from the original publication).

So, in the new test, I have done three things:

• Added a real link to create the "hyperlink" style. This did not solve the problem.
  • Redefined all the styles that were based on "body 1" to be based on "base 1". This caused the problem to disappear on all of them, thus proving that the culprit was the "body 1" style.
  • Created a new style from scratch, "new body", and recreated the text box used for testing to use "new body" instead of "body 1". The problem is fixed!

The only problem I have now is that the original publication has a lot of local formatting, so replacing the styles is going to take a while ...

image.png.ae9eb9cd0e065806913ba2c65d7c4176.png

I also attach the new test publication, if you are curious to investigate the issue.

Strange behaviour v2.afpub

Thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated!

Good to see someone getting a problem solved and reporting back how they solved the problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

So I wonder what makes the "Hyperlink" appear which is currently mentioned as property of "Base 1"?

40 minutes ago, momsoft said:

It seems that somehow a link to Page 4 of the publication (???) became part of the definition of the "body" style

Does any of you have an idea on how to make a "Hyperlink" property appear in a paragraph style, manually and in purpose? – Accordingly, how to remove it?

I don't see a way to make it appear, and in my understanding there shouldn't be any.

@momsoft, how did you detect that there 1.) in fact is a link nested in the style definition and 2.) how that's in particular to page 4 ? Is this link clickable for you?
To me there is no recognizable link in your .afpub besides this mentioned text "Hyperlink" only.

thomaso,

how did you detect that there 1.) in fact is a link nested in the style definition and 2.) how that's in particular to page 4 ? Is this link clickable for you?
To me there is no recognizable link in your .afpub besides this mentioned text "Hyperlink" only.

You were the one to point out the hyperlink in the style definition. After you pointed out the hyperlink bit, I have investigated a bit. On the test publication, if you right click on the first test text box you will notice that there is indeed a link defined.

image.png.7706720172e1176f1442377612c1e807.png

If you click on "Edit Hyperlink ..." you get:

image.png.e3d8dd36cb2e1dffef918246566c6a72.png

But it does not seem that the link is actually created if you export it to a PDF.

So, all in all it is a mistery.

Thanks for your help again.

2 hours ago, momsoft said:

After you pointed out the hyperlink bit, I have investigated a bit. On the test publication, if you right click on the first test text box you will notice that there is indeed a link defined.

Ah, thanks for this additional check + hint. I had looked before in the Hyperlink panel only – which doesn't contain an entry – though the menu indeed offers to edit an apparently existing link. To me the menu looks like this when I either select the text styled as Base 1 or have no specific text but the text frame selected with the Move Tool:

2004302469_hyperlinkwithinparagraphstyle3editlink.thumb.jpg.7a937fcf734f26b83d4511c387455cb8.jpg

Yes, the property to me is displayed as link to "Page 4" but with none of the two existing character style menu options selected, neither "[No Style]" nor "Hyperlink" but blank:

2043596907_hyperlinkwithinparagraphstyle5linkpropertystyleblank.jpg.1ab27c146dc3ea8ec641ed464ee3a8b0.jpg

After selecting "Delete Hyperlink" the text misformatting issue doesn't happen anymore – but the style seems still to have "Hyperlink" assigned + marks this after my link deletion as style deviation:

966889872_hyperlinkwithinparagraphstyle4linkdeleted.thumb.jpg.d3fd4c8f1822c46778667a0951f24989.jpg

Since a hyperlink shouldn't cause an unwanted automatic change of a next paragraph style at all to me the issue/bug seems to have 2-3 independent parts:

a.)  the property "Hyperlink" appearing for a paragraph style without existence of an according character style
b.)  the odd paragraph style change which visually appears not at all related to a link (character style) but to a next paragraph style and within 1 line
c.)  the empty hyperlink panel vs. editable (existing ?) link

@momsoft, would you mind to report a bug report? (with a link to this thread to reduce typing)