You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Passthrough Publisher vector cropping tool misbehaviour

I noticed another problem:

when I place a pdf with the mode transfer and then I use the vector cropping tool the exported pdf is badly pixelized.

When I change the placed pdf to a picture frame and then use the cropping tool the full resolution is maintaining in the exported PDF.

This is a strange behaviour. Could you please correct.

Or as a suggestion: Generally create an option that all pictures (pdf, jpg etc.) when they are placed are placed directly into a picture frame.

Edited by peterfri

Please explain what you mean by "using the cutting tool".

Screenshots or a video would also help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, peterfri said:

when I place a pdf with the mode transfer and then I use the cutting tool the exported pdf is badly pixelized.

When I change the placed pdf to a picture frame and then use the cutting tool the full resolution is maintaining in the exported PDF.

There is a known / reported difference in exported image resolution between Picture Frame vs. Rectangle (incl. Vector Crop Tool).

I am not aware of an explicit bug report for this unexpected behavior – but it was mentioned in the APub Beta mac forum for v.742:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Please explain what you mean by "using the cutting tool".

Screenshots or a video would also help.

excuse me I used the vector cropping tool and I put two screenshots to this post. It means the pdf that I had cropped directly after placing produces a very bad exported pdf file that lost all high resolution information. After placing at first you have to convert the pdf to a picture frame and then you can use the vector cropping tool without loosing quality in the exported PDF.

Both screenshots I made in Acrobat, in Publisher you don‘t see the problem!!!

croopingtool-withpictureframe.png

croopingtool-withoutpictureframe.png

Once it is in a picture frame you shouldn't need to use the cropping tool.

It appears that for some reason when you use the cropping tool without the frame it is forcing the rasterization of the placed PDF upon export.

That might be a bug, or it might be a limitation produced due to some mechanism of the tool that Serif doesn't currently know how to represent accurately in the PDF format being used...

Either way, if it is working in the frame, then I would not expect that behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.