You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There seems to be little or no antialiasing on the multitude of lines to the right of this scarf making the staircasing effect extremely obvious when used at desktop and mobile resolutions for a game. (Picture 1)

Designer_Q85X1l32qP.png.edd0ca3cc739124d4e263f335a2d707a.png

If I export as PDF, SVG or EPS vector only file and have something else render it like Edge or Photoshop, the antialiasing is much better (Picture 2)

Photoshop_rRBrzP9UFN.png.ac943a851692eecb772b5a1f11b07bcb.png

It's the same on-screen and also when exported via via bilinear or lanczos to PNG. Performance is set to bilinear and high quality. I'm using an outline FX, but it's the same when off.

The difference is night and day, with the first one not being useable at all.

Is there a way to increase the level of anti-aliasing?

UPDATE 1 : The line is a brush, if I remove the brush and make it just a line, it ant aliases much better. Maybe this is a brush rendering issue with antialiasing?

Edited by ziplock9000
More info

• Staff

Hi Ziplock9000,

Welcome to the forums :)

It sounds like it could be caused by the brush you used, if possible could you provide a copy of the file and the brush file if its a non default one?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

15 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Ziplock9000,

Welcome to the forums :)

It sounds like it could be caused by the brush you used, if possible could you provide a copy of the file and the brush file if its a non default one?

Thanks

C

Here's a file showing the issue with reference to the brush included too which came free with AD when I bought it.

At first I thought it might just be due to the natural textures of the brush, but it's defiantly anti-aliasing in nature.

Turf GUI.afdesign

• Staff
On 1/4/2021 at 2:47 PM, ziplock9000 said:

Here's a file showing the issue with reference to the brush included too which came free with AD when I bought it.

At first I thought it might just be due to the natural textures of the brush, but it's defiantly anti-aliasing in nature.

Turf GUI.afdesign 656.25 kB · 4 downloads

Unfortunately at the moment there is no way to change the anti aliasing applied to layers however I believe it should be coming in our next beta build. This should allow you to view it properly in app and not just at export.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

17 hours ago, Callum said:

Unfortunately at the moment there is no way to change the anti aliasing applied to layers however I believe it should be coming in our next beta build. This should allow you to view it properly in app and not just at export.

Excellent, do you have any links to details about this?

Also as mentioned, the issue exists for exported items too, not just in-app.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:43 PM, ziplock9000 said:

If I export as PDF, SVG or EPS vector only file and have something else render it like Edge or Photoshop, the antialiasing is much better (Picture 2)

Photoshop_rRBrzP9UFN.png.ac943a851692eecb772b5a1f11b07bcb.png

That one is so smooth because the brush texture has been discarded when exporting and so the tassels are as if a standard stroke instead of a brush had been applied to the paths.

AD's textured "vector" brushes stretch or repeat a raster texture along a path. If you export with rasterisation disallowed then the brush textures cannot be included.

2 hours ago, anon2 said:

That one is so smooth because the brush texture has been discarded when exporting and so the tassels are as if a standard stroke instead of a brush had been applied to the paths.

AD's textured "vector" brushes stretch or repeat a raster texture along a path. If you export with rasterisation disallowed then the brush textures cannot be included.

Yes but those brushes with a raster texture have the actual textures WAY beyond the export resolution (I can zoom in 10x+ and they will be sharp on a 4K screen), so when rendered to the screen or an export file should not show aliasing.

In fact no matter what the resolution is, purely vector or raster, it should not show aliasing. If the texture was 1x1 pixel blown way up or 1000x1000 they can both be anti-aliased when rendered, but seem to not be in all cases.

46 minutes ago, ziplock9000 said:

Yes but those brushes with a raster texture have the actual textures WAY beyond the export resolution (I can zoom in 10x+ and they will be sharp on a 4K screen), so when rendered to the screen or an export file should not show aliasing.

In fact no matter what the resolution is, purely vector or raster, it should not show aliasing. If the texture was 1x1 pixel blown way up or 1000x1000 they can both be anti-aliased when rendered, but seem to not be in all cases.

Yes, I agree that the antialiasing of the textured brush strokes is poor. It is not non-existent, but it should be much better.

My earlier point was only to explain why your Picture 2 was so smooth. I wasn't sure that you were aware that the texture had been discarded when the vector file was exported.

You could try a supersampling raster export as a workaround: do a raster export at four or eight times the required size and then resample that to the required size.

12 hours ago, anon2 said:

Yes, I agree that the antialiasing of the textured brush strokes is poor. It is not non-existent, but it should be much better.

My earlier point was only to explain why your Picture 2 was so smooth. I wasn't sure that you were aware that the texture had been discarded when the vector file was exported.

You could try a supersampling raster export as a workaround: do a raster export at four or eight times the required size and then resample that to the required size.

Ah I see what you were articulating. Yes I was aware the texture had been removed, thanks.

Yes super sampling does help somewhat as a workaround which I've used in the meanwhile, but it's not a solution, especially when I use automated slices. It also doesn't help with the on-screen presentation.

Hopefully the upcoming changes to anti-aliasing setting @callum mentioned help with on-screen AND exports.