You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wonder Woman 1984

VectorVonDoom

I fancied doing something shiny, not too easy but not too complicated either, 2 weeks max, so decided to see if I could get this done. Shame it turned out to be such a horrible movie. There was too much background on the photo I used so I cropped it to something a bit more interesting.

Who needs fancy pants gradient meshes when there’s the pen tool :)

Sorry about the equally horrible compression.

Wonder Woman.jpg

Zoom.jpg

Wireframe.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Not sure about that but thank you. First time I'd finished a face or hands properly and was happy how they turned out. Although in a week or two I might look at it again and not be so happy. Of course not having to do much hair made it a lot easier.

The photo was noisy so it was difficult to work out what was going on with the "chain mail" so I had to simplify it but it's not too terrible.

Two weeks is speed drawing for me  xD

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

That's OK. Depending on the subject you can do photorealistic without blurs but usually you need them or it will improve things. I usually end up using a small number of blur values. It depends on the canvas size of course but for example 1, 2 4, 8, 11, 16 and 22 with the odd large one to really blend an area in. I pretty much never use the slider as it's slower and when you've a load of objects you want to save all the time you can.

The other thing is with the exception of really tiny areas almost everything is a gradient. Sometimes, depending on the surrounding, an area can look like a flat colour but if you check there's a fair amount of variation so I automatically do gradients.

I was thinking of putting something together about setup and some tips but not sure it's worth it as not many do this and the ones who do probably already know it.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I did notice lots of subtle gradients, also the sheer number of tiny additional shapes, seemingly too small to notice but as you hide them the overall effect they bring becomes apparent. Must take a lot of patience to achieve.

Do you ever need to output these as a pure vector format? I tried an SVG but sadly Designer just rasterises everything due to the blur effect, even though SVG can natively support it.

• 2 weeks later...