You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wonder Woman 1984

VectorVonDoom

On 12/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

I fancied doing something shiny, not too easy but not too complicated either, 2 weeks max, so decided to see if I could get this done. Shame it turned out to be such a horrible movie. There was too much background on the photo I used so I cropped it to something a bit more interesting.

Who needs fancy pants gradient meshes when there’s the pen tool :)

Sorry about the equally horrible compression.

Wonder Woman.jpg

Zoom.jpg

Wireframe.jpg

Is this all vectoring? If it is, I wish I could vector like this! The patience required for this kind of work is real. Do you make video tutorials? I have this patience with pen and pencil but on a computer...I lose it quickly

It is. I don't make tutorials. I think the majority are rather pointless, speed drawing even more so, except for the ones showing how to use a certain feature. The only way to really learn is by doing it yourself not by watching someone. But this is just the pen tool, gradients and blurs so there's not much to show anyway, you just do it. Of course it can make sense to start on something fairly simple, the more complicated it is the more likely you are to give up.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

1 hour ago, VectorVonDoom said:

It is. I don't make tutorials. I think the majority are rather pointless, speed drawing even more so, except for the ones showing how to use a certain feature. The only way to really learn is by doing it yourself not by watching someone. But this is just the pen tool, gradients and blurs so there's not much to show anyway, you just do it. Of course it can make sense to start on something fairly simple, the more complicated it is the more likely you are to give up.

I work on intricate art with an ink pen. On a laptop it's a bit more detached for me. How do you keep track of all the curves?

Only that I break it down in to logical sections where I can. So for example on this an arm is split up in to the hand, the glove, the arm guard and then the "chain mail". I wouldn't try doing the whole thing as one huge group of objects as that would be a bit of a nightmare placing objects in the right place layer wise.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

8 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Only that I break it down in to logical sections where I can. So for example on this an arm is split up in to the hand, the glove, the arm guard and then the "chain mail". I wouldn't try doing the whole thing as one huge group of objects as that would be a bit of a nightmare placing objects in the right place layer wise.

I honestly wish I could watch you work at a slow speed to really grasp how you do this kind of intricate work. I understand it is just done and a lot of practice. But, I would still like to watch even just a detail being complete with your process.

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

Who needs fancy pants gradient meshes when there’s the pen tool :)

C'est sûr, ça permet de relativiser...
C'est sûr également, vous êtes aussi balaise que dingue :)
Respect.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

Incredible skill, attention to detail and artistry. Color me envious!

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...