You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert Shape to Text Frame Loses Stroke

bures

That doesn't seem to have lost its fill, though.

Can you also show the Layers panel, so we can see what you really have there?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, bures said:

Multi-stroke is wiped out also in Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 (including background)

image.png.85103d3a42f730a3877bad690e779c5f.png

It would be. Designer always clears the stroke and fill when converting an object to a Text Frame. That's because only Publisher includes the Text Frame panel to allow control over those aspects of a text frame. Only Publisher keeps them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, bures said:

I created shape in Designer Persona as multi-stroke. Then I switched to Publisher Persona and I select Convert to text frame command. Stroke is gone

Thanks for that added detail.

Yes, any additional strokes or fills other than the first one are deleted when converting an object to a Text Frame. It does not matter which of the 3 conversion methods is used; they all operate the same way.

I suspect this is working correctly, as we also cannot use the Appearance panel in the Designer Persona to add additional fills or strokes to a Text Frame.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It would be. Designer always clears the stroke and fill when converting an object to a Text Frame. That's because only Publisher includes the Text Frame panel to allow control over those aspects of a text frame. Only Publisher keeps them.

So it is still bug.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, any additional strokes or fills other than the first one are deleted when converting an object to a Text Frame. It does not matter which of the 3 conversion methods is used; they all operate the same way.

I suspect this is working correctly, as we also cannot use the Appearance panel in the Designer Persona to add additional fills or strokes to a Text Frame.

Shape converted into shape text frame should keep previously set properties. Because it is very confusing losing that settings.

17 minutes ago, bures said:

So it is still bug.

Not for Designer. In Designer it is an intended design feature.

-- Walt
PC:

12 minutes ago, bures said:

Shape converted into shape text frame should keep previously set properties. Because it is very confusing losing that settings.

It will be up to Serif to say. I can only point out that the behavior in Publisher is consistent right now for all forms of text frame; they have only a single fill and stroke.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

As Walt says, text frames don't understand the concept of multiple strokes, so it losing one when converting is kind of expected from a technical point of view. I do agree it isn't ideal though and I'll see pass it on and see if we can improve it.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com