You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Featured Images for Blog Posts Template?

Hi 

I am trying to improve my Web Design and Build workflow and would appreciate some guidance.  I have both Designer and Photo.

If a client sends me a number of images/photos to be used as the featured image for a blog post, then invariably they will be all different sizes and not optimised for web when received.

On the main blog page there will be for example be listing grid of blog posts, maybe three columns wide across the page, where on the top of each blog post there will be a visible section of each image and they will all be the same size so that the listing grid itself looks clean and uniformed.

So just for clarity, if three images are all different sizes in their raw format, they will all be cropped/clipped to an 800 x 500 template for example.

I have seen a video where someone has done this in Photoshop where they created a template 800 x 500 art-board and then one by one placed each image into it, resized the image to suit inside the template and then saved it out before repeating with the next image.

What would be the best step by step process to achieve this in Photo or (preferably) Designer so that I can have my template, crop/resize the images received within the template and then save them out as web optimised images?

Thank you!

When you paste or place an image which is larger than the document it’s automatically clipped to the canvas, so all you need to do is create a new 800 px × 500 px document, position the image as desired and then export it to JPEG (or whatever). The ‘More’ link in the Export dialog gives you access to settings such as quality/compression, but unfortunately there is currently no export preview within the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

When you paste or place an image which is larger than the document it’s automatically clipped to the canvas, so all you need to do is create a new 800 px × 500 px document, position the image as desired and then export it to JPEG (or whatever). The ‘More’ link in the Export dialog gives you access to settings such as quality/compression, but unfortunately there is currently no export preview within the Affinity apps.

Thanks Alfred, so one photo at a time is still the way to go?