You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a PNG file that is a monochrome skyline silhouette (see attached). I want to fill the grey buildings with another color. How do I do this?    I have watched the tutorials but the Color Picker and Fill tools don't seem to do the job.   I can do this easily in Irfanview, surely we should be able to do it in Designer.  What am I missing? 

PSS Skyline Silhouette.png

Edited by ACPhillips
Wanted Better clarity on the product

Flood fill tool does not work on image layers, see if you need to rasterize the layer first. Also, soft edges may present a problem, which you can deal either making them hard, or placing solid colour layer above he image and adjusting blend options (which is not about Flood fill tool anymore...).

58 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Flood fill tool does not work on image layers, see if you need to rasterize the layer first. Also, soft edges may present a problem, which you can deal either making them hard, or placing solid colour layer above he image and adjusting blend options (which is not about Flood fill tool anymore...).

Thanks.  That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to use the fill feature in Irfanview to make my changes.

8 minutes ago, ACPhillips said:

Thanks.  That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to use the fill feature in Irfanview to make my changes.

FIxx didn't say it wouldn't work. He said it wouldn't work on an image layer. As long as you have a (Pixel) layer it should work. (And just did, when I saved your sample as a PNG.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, ACPhillips said:

I have a PNG file that is a monochrome skyline silhouette (see attached). I want to fill the grey buildings with another color. How do I do this?

That's a good candidate for bitmap-to-vector vectorization, thus converting the whole into a vector shape. Afterwards you can color the vector shape to whatever you want.

skyline_ny.thumb.png.8d41c306cf6675478656c007a6cd89c0.png

skyline_ny_fw.png.bb4efbb904e02419e0ac115de7b6e190.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

but the one that I got was an RGB PNG image that had (semi)transparent pixels throughout the image and that kind of image cannot be used as a colorant. You need to have a true grayscale image or apply K-Only button on the context toolbar.

Colorizing the image (as saved from the original post) worked fine for me, using the Flood Fill tool in Designer.

Original image:

image.png.aef2e694475f6af2924afcc3519a8185.png

After 1 click with the Flood Fill Tool (Pixel Persona, Designer):

image.png.325a2aa95486a1298ac4e42ae63d13fd.png

Am I misunderstanding something you're saying?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1