You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for 2-in-1 laptop/tablet. Concerns about monitor and pen ...

Hello all!

Hope you are all safe and sane!

I am working my way through learning Affinity Designer.  I feel like I am doing pretty good with it.  I am focusing on line art drawings at the moment.  I have not tried brushes yet, but it will happen.  And I will also get into Affinity Photo

I am looking to get a new laptop and want to focus on the monitor.  I am thinking of a 2-in-1 or convertible type to be used as laptop or a tablet.

My questions have to do with monitor.  I want to be sure that I can use a pen to work with drawings and photos.  I have not worked with brushes yet, but I'm guessing that pressure control of the pen is important in drawing.  I know the monitors are all touch screen.  But, do they work well with a pen?

I'm looking for suggestions for brand/model of a 2-in-1 laptop that I can consider that performs well with a pen in tablet mode.  Is there one out there?  Or do need to consider a Wacom tablet or iPad to get the performance I am looking for in a pen.

Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for listening ...

Bob                

Windows 10           Affinity Designer:  1.8.5.703

See for example ...

... though some forum users here, which may use the one or other device, might can tell you better the pros & cons of certain specific devices here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for the info.

I'll have to go over it.  That looks like a pretty in dept web site.

Also, glossy or matte monitor?   Is one better than the other?  Probably matters if used in or out doors?

Would like to hear of any first hand experience with stylus/tablet?

Thanks ...

Bob                

3 hours ago, Eagle Works said:

Also, glossy or matte monitor?   Is one better than the other?  Probably matters if used in or out doors?

Well even on glossy panels some colors might look better saturated and shiny, the problem here is outdoors or indoor light (lamp) screen reflections. So if you do a lot of business work too and want to have greater viewing angle independence without much on screen light reflections (indoors or outdoors) a good matte (S-)IPS or (M)VA TFT panel would be better to have. Just make sure it offers enough brightness/luminance in Nits (a high measured -ideally- equally distributed value over the panel's surface areas then, so the higher -the more Nits- the better)!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks.

That web site has a ton of info.  I'll be spending some time on it.

Nits?  I need to do some research on this number.  I'm assuming higher is better?  Looks like mid-500 is a good number.

Can I check the nits on my current HP laptop?  I'll go to HP to see.

Thanks again ...

Bob                

2 hours ago, Eagle Works said:

Nits?  I need to do some research on this number.  I'm assuming higher is better?  Looks like mid-500 is a good number.

See also: Candela per square metre

The SI unit of luminance is candela per square meter (cd / m²). In English-speaking countries, especially in the USA, the designation Nit (unit symbol nt, from Latin nitere = "seem", plural nits) is used. - 1 Nit = 1 x (cd / m^2).

Yes higher is better since the TFT panel then offers a higher luminance (which of course is adjustable from min to max values in order to save battery power). But for outdoors in the sun etc. having a Notebook with a TFT panel which offers a very bright/high luminance is an overall advantage for reading and seeing things on the screen at all. - For Notebooks 500 Nits (on paper) is a very good value, most don't offer so much in reality!